LarryT

Well Known Member
From other posts, I understand that I will have to put my -6A back into Phase I testing because of the new propeller installation.

I purchased the aircraft flying (fourth owner), so I am nowhere near the original test area. Nor do I have any experience with Phase I testing in the first place.

Could some of you gurus please educate me a little.

The aircraft is based at W52 (Goheen Field, Battle Ground, WA) It is 10nm on a 345 radial from W52 to Lake Merwyn. I was thinking that a good test area would be a corrider from W52 to Lake Merwyn extending east over Yale Lake and Swift Reservoir. That is the least populated area I can think of. It is about 25 nm from the interesection with Yale Lake to the east end of Swift Reservoir. Please let me know if you think that would be a good choice.

For those who have had experience with them, how do I handle this with the Portland (Hillsboro) FSDO? Are they OK to work with? PM me if you don't wish to discuss an experience publicly. I would think that they have a lot of experience working with experimentals since they are the FSDO for Van's.

Larry

This should be a piece of cake for them, seeing as you are in RV territory. Just pick up the phone and call them. If you are in the same geographichal territory as the original limitations, and the demographics haven't changed substantially, meaning lots of population growth/congested areas, then they should tell you to just go back into Phase One for 5 hours or so and make an entry in the aircraft log book. Don't forget to amend the W&B, if the new propeller has an impact. If you are not in the same local area, they most likely will describe a new area, and amend your limitations. They may or may not make you come by in person to get them.
All in all, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Vic

Caution!

It looks like your airplane obtained it's airworthiness certificate in 1997. That's close to the time that operating limitations were changed with regard to requirements relating to major changes.
Read your operating limitations carefully. They are the controlling document. You must do whatever they say. Some older operating limitations require a recurrent airworthiness inspection if they haven't been amended since original issuance.