txshan130

Well Known Member
Hey Everyone -

Just got a brand new Hartzell BA prop for my -6....Got the prop on yesterday but realized the 4 mounting holes (in the dome) for the front bulkhead are aligned differently than the holes in my old prop. Consequently the holes in my spinner do not align properly for the front bulkhead...

Since the spinner is painted, it's hard to even see exactly how far off the holes are.

I'm sure some of you have gone through this before...any ideas?

Already talked to a prop shop and found out the dome (ie the 4 bolt holes) can not rotate to match the holes in the front bulkhead.

Maybe make slotted holes in the bulkhead to allow it to rotate a bit?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

- Brian

This is a common problem even after having a prop overhauled... the dome rarely gets clocked in exactly the same position.

If it is only off slightly you can slot the holes. If it is off a large enough amount you can make new holes (match drilled from the spinner) if the new nut plates will not interfere with the old ones (use a pen to mark the hole locations).
If they are too close, get a new bulkhead and match drill it from the holes in the spinner.

yep, remove the old nut plates, drill new holes in the bulkhead using the spinner as a guide. If the new holes are to close to the old ones use one legged nut plates.
Life is then good again.
regards, Larry

And don't forget to have your prop dynamically rebalanced :) A simple process...only took 3 or 4 runs to get mine down to 0.01 ips! (I claim it's so smooth you could shave with a straight razor while flying, but that's just bragging LOL!)