Steve Brown

Well Known Member
Guys,

I've got a new Catto prop on order which I should get this month. Its very similar to what I'm flying now except less pitch and slightly longer.

Anyway, do I need to contact the FSDO or fly off any hours on the new prop, or do anything else besides just put it on and fly?

Steve,

I exchanged emails with my local FISDO with the exact same question. It was my plan to stay with a Catto, just a different diameter and pitch.

The Charlotte, NC FISDO (your's may be different) said I had to notify them of the change and go back into Phase I for five hours of testing.

The answer lies with the paperwork for your airplane and your local FISDO.

The funny thing is that now that it looks like I might change both the engine and prop, I will probably still have just a five hour test period. Go figure.

Yes, if the change is not the same prop,then you must do what your limitations say under major changes..............

The above answers are correct. Read your limitations. If they are recent (past 3-5 years) they will explicitly state that you must contact your local FSDO after any major change. Think of a major change as one which has the potential to change the flight characteristics of the airplane. A differently-pitched prop clearly fits into that category. You also want your insuarance to be valid. Non compliance with your limitations may invalidate your insurance.

Vic

FYI - The following just hit my inbox from my local FSDO.
Charlotte FISDO said:
Good Afternoon Bill;

You will need to complete an FAA Form 8130-6 to reflect the new Make/Model of the Engine/Propeller and submit a program letter describing the test flight area requested, the requested flight test hours and a description of the alteration.

Any questions, feel free to give a call!

Yes, our FSDO is filled with good, professional, and helpful people.

Thanks!

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. As advised I checked my operating limitations and they say I need to contact the FSDO.

Hopefully they let me fly it out of my airport - RHV.

Every FSDO is different...

I switched from a ground adjustable Sensenich, to an IVO Magnum in-flight adjustable. When I called the FSDO, he said send the updated 8130-6, but no need to go back to Phase 1 :eek:
I noted that in the logbook, and of course I flew it for a few hours by myself anyway.

Got the exact same response as Bill.....

from the Greensboro FSDO regarding a Catto swap from my metal Sesenich. 8130-6, letter of intent, 5 hours phase 1, and projected test area. Got to be the first time I have ever heard the same exact procedure come from 2 different FSDO's
Wow.....
Hey Bill, you gonna stay with the 290??

Regards,
Chris

Be Sure!

I switched from a ground adjustable Sensenich, to an IVO Magnum in-flight adjustable. When I called the FSDO, he said send the updated 8130-6, but no need to go back to Phase 1 :eek:
I noted that in the logbook, and of course I flew it for a few hours by myself anyway.
Please read your operating limitations carefully. Changing to a controllable pitch prop normally requires a minimum of 5 hours of phase I flight testing. The FSDO does not have the authority to override your operating limitations. They have the authority to revise them, but until they do, you are bound by what your operating limitations say.

Last edited:
I'll double check...

Please read your operating limitations carefully. Changing to a controllable pitch prop normally requires a phase I flight test. The FSDO does not have the authority to override your operating limitations.
I'll double check what they say. I actually did the flight testing, but I'll have to be sure it's documented correctly in the log.
I never got a response from the FSDO regarding the change - is that a problem?

The only required response from the FSDO would be approval of your flight test area. Again, it depends on your operating limitations. Some op lims require approval in writing and some do not.