tvilledavis

I'm New Here
I just bought an RV-4 and found that the insurance company won't cover me until I have two hours of dual in the airplane. My first problem is that this particular 4 doesn't have dual controls; the second problem is that I don't know any CFIs with RV-4 experience. Is there somebody in the central North Carolina area (Thomasville) that could help me out? I have plenty of Pitts and other tailwheel time and don't anticipate any problem handling the airplane, but I need the "official" training.

Also, contact your insurance company and see if they will let you get your two hours in any a side-by-side tail dragger RV in place of the -4. Many insurance companies will allow this since they fly about the same.

The other question I have is, did they need two hours of duel or just two hours?

In my case they wanted three hours in any side-by-side tail dragger RV and never stipulated instruction. So, a friend who is not a CFI checked me out in his -6 which satisfied my insurance company.

Also, are you on the SERV mailing list?

Last edited:
Most insurance companies are flexible on this issue. Work out a plan that you think is reasonable then present it to them.
They will usually work with you.

Most insurance companies are flexible on this issue. Work out a plan that you think is reasonable then present it to them.
They will usually work with you.

I agree with Mel. My insurance co wanted me to get 2 hours of dual in a -3. :eek: When I explained it had only one seat they settled for 20 hours in a TD time (at the time I had zero), and 5 hours in the -3, then I would be covered.

From what I've seen they want you to have RV time of like gear configuration.

For an RV-4 you can train in an RV-6. Not a -6A though. I received 6 hours dual in an RV-6 before flying more -4. This may seem like a lot but I only had 5 hours tailwheel (Champ).