Makes you want to go right now!

If you have ever been there outside of the EAA Airventure week it is a really weird "ghost town" feeling.

Great video, I'm pumped! Flying into the "big show" is something every pilot should do at least once.

That is an excellent film thanks for sharing the link. Really captures the essence of the whole experience.

EAA

I found it interesting that during the entire 17 minute film, it was never mentioned that EAA stands for the experimental aircraft association. The emphasis seemed to be on general aviation, with not much attention to us "experimental" guys.

Maybe they are ashamed of us?

It's not about them. It's about us. Pilots. People who love aviation. Whether we build them, or buy them... we're all family.

We're too quick, I think, to define ourselves in narrow terms. If you love aviation and you understand the lure of Oshkosh, I don't care what you call yourself.

RV8

I saw Jerry Kinmans RV8 in the first few bits.
I saw my First RV6 N46RV as well...
Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Ah, yup!

It's not about them. It's about us. Pilots. People who love aviation. Whether we build them, or buy them... we're all family.

We're too quick, I think, to define ourselves in narrow terms. If you love aviation and you understand the lure of Oshkosh, I don't care what you call yourself.

The EAA may have grown out of it's name, but what should it be called? I'm not sure "A Bunch of People Having Fun in and Around Airplanes" will look good in a logo. How about we just call it the EAA, it is established and it works.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Excellent video

The video says it all. EAA is the spirit of General Aviation; a coming together of people and aircraft that personifies the science, mystery and wonder of flight. I am ready for this year's event.

EAA

I would be attracted to OSH no matter what they called it. I have been a member of the warbirds section and the vintage section of EAA and have an interest in a wide range of aircraft. There were lots of experimentals on the film, including RV's and canard designs.

It just seems odd that they would never define what the letters meant. It makes it seem to me that they want to distance the organization, or perhaps Airventure, from the experimental name.

I'm kind of in favor of getting rid of the whole "experimental" nomenclature anyway. It sounds like some crazed professor working on an airplane made out of flubber.

The emphasis seemed to be on general aviation, with not much attention to us "experimental" guys.

Which film did you watch? I saw the one that had a whole section about the Oshkosh forums and workshops, an inspirational sequence of quotes about hands-on innovation, and a multitude of homebuilt airplanes throughout!

RV4chick made the movies!

Paul Rosales emailed me that my wife "RV4chick" is on the first video at 2 min 40 seconds and her voice is again on the first one at 7 min 10 seconds.

I agree with Bob. When a stranger to aviation see the word expermental the quality factor goes away.

I remember mentioning to my friends that I was interested in building an 'experimental' airplane. They looked at me like I was nuts, which I expected, but what I didn't expect was the next comment which was, 'why an 'experimental' airplane? Why not one that 'you know' will fly?' What I didn't realize is that most lay people associate 'experimental aircraft' with some type of contraption that you 'experiment' with to see 'if it will fly', as opposed to a 'real airplane'.

I no longer mention the 'experimental' part.

Mike

Last edited:
unclear

I was less than articulate in my first post, and I think conveyed the wrong impression. My point was that "EAA" was refered to throughout, but there was never any mention of what the letters stood for. Perhaps because, as mentioned by Gary and Bob, the mention of "experimental" has less than positive connotations to some GA folks who are unfamiliar with out segment of the GA community.

The term "experimental" seems somewhat inappropriate to the RV community. With over 5,000 flying, the RV is a proven aircraft, not really any longer "experimental". That being said, we do have options for modifications that could be considered "experimental". I like the term "homebuilt" even less because it sounds like something cheap and shoddy. Others may disagree.

I agree that there were lots of "experimental" aircraft featured and other things that are of interest to us builders ion the film. I also intended no negative inference to the OSH show which is the best in the world for our community.

Amateur Built...

I like "Amateur Built" (as opposed to Home Built or Experimental) for what we do with RV's.

From Merriam Webster...

Amateur: one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession.

Etymology: French, from Latin amator lover, from amare to love

In other words, we do it because we love it, not because we're getting paid for it.

.... It sounds like some crazed professor working on an airplane made out of flubber.

I'll bet Hollywood could have fun with that word "flubber"..maybe make a movie about it.

I thought this was an excellent movie, on par with "16R" in quality of production. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but look forward to my next visit! It is absolutely the highlight of the year!

Not only do I NOT feel excluded as an "experimental" aircraft builder, I feel more connected to EAA than ever! Watching this film simply motivates me even further to get my plane finished so I can once again partake in the ambiance of Oshkosh!!

Oh BTW, during that 17 1/2 minute video, somewhere they must have shown the beer tent, but that might have been when I made a quick fridge run..:D