airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
The wife and I have a strong hankering for some good Cajun grease, and we're going to make a run to Nawlins this weekend in the 172. We want to spend most of our time in the Frech Quarter (hotel downtown) and with me not knowing the geography of Nawlins very well I don't know which airport would be the best to go into. I'm assuming 7N0 (Downtown) is really going to be downtown and thus close to everything, but that's not necessarily the best place to fly into either, so I'm asking the question.

Also - while I'm there (and to keep this RV related) - I desperately need to lay eyeballs on somebodies finished 9A slider to figure out how in the world to proceed with my canopy. Anybody going to be in the area this weekend that I could coordinate with?

*EDIT* - just realized Downtown (7N0) is a heliport so it might be a little interesting to land there.... sooooo... the question becomes International or Lakefront? Which is friendlier to GA?

Last edited:
I flew into LakeFront and was treated very well. As far as food, I wouldn't eat at Felix's resturant. It used to be a good place to eat. We ate there about a month ago and it was awful. They also lost their liquor license so you can't even get a beer with your dinner. Out hotel recommended Deanie's resturant and it was very good. I'll go back there again for sure. Acme was just too crowded and the line was too long. Enjoy your trip. We had a blast.

Lakefront - without a doubt! A few years back, Millionaire gave me a Jaguar as a Courtesy Car..... :)

Lakefront.

If you don't get a courtesy car, the city has a fixed rate fare for all of the cabs to take you into town.

About $19 IIRC - no cab rip-offs...:)

When you depart, ask for a path down the river....

attachment.php

Last edited:
Taxi = no parking costs

Our first multi-hour trip in our RV a couple years ago was to KNEW. Flight following accommodated a request to overfly downtown no problem, & the wife enjoyed the sights. Our trip there and landing at KNEW right next to the water is still something she reminisces about, despite it being over 2 years ago.

Used flightline first as our fbo and our experience matched all the positive reviews on AirNav. They arranged for a cab, and that worked great for our 1-night stay as parking for most downtown hotels we considered was near 20 bucks a day. Once downtown, walking was part of "experiencing" the city fully!

Hope you have a blast.

Poboys and Literature

I would highly suggest visiting Mother's one block outside of the French Quarter. They do all kinds of Poboys but the one that I dream about at night is the Debris Poboy. Its made with the stuff left over in the pan after they cook the roast beef so its got all the flavor and the juices soak into the bun. If you have time before your trip you should pick up a copy of "Pylon" by William Faulkner to read. Its about air show performers and air racers in the 30's and it is set at a fictional airport in New Orleans which is basicly Lakefront. Enjoy the trip!

careful leaving the FBO/airport area in a car, there are automated speed cameras in the surrounding school zones

ask me how i know :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

I've notified Flightline First at Lakefront that we'll be coming in. Current plan is departure sometime tomorrow afternoon from Midland and return Sunday afternoon. The weather right now looks cooperative, but I've already got Plan B booked on Southwest in case Mother Nature gets cantakerous. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

If you want to stop at KEDC on your way to KNEW I can show you my -9A slider. also good place to use their facilities etc.

Thanks guys!

I've notified Flightline First at Lakefront that we'll be coming in. Current plan is departure sometime tomorrow afternoon from Midland and return Sunday afternoon. The weather right now looks cooperative, but I've already got Plan B booked on Southwest in case Mother Nature gets cantakerous. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

KNEW is a good choice. I read about some very nasty "service" fees at MSY on Airnav. Overnight parking downtown is very expensive if it is not included with your room. Someone said $20. I paid more than that when I lived there back in the early 2000's.

It is hard to go wrong with the food. I always liked any of the Brennan's family restaurants. I haven't been down there lately so things may have changed. But, I liked the Palace Cafe on Canal between Bourbon and Royal (I think). It is in an old Wurleins (sp?) music store. The food and service are exceptional! My wife really likes the crab cakes appetizer there. There is also Dickie Brennan's Steak House, Bacco (on Charters, 2 blocks toward the river from Bourbon), and, of course, Brennan's.

There is a neat little corner bar at Charters and Bienville called the Chart Room. Great drink prices and they don?t raise them during Mardi Gras. Good place to sit and people watch (especially during Mardi Gras!).

During the day the art shops along Royal are fun to peruse.

For Sunday brunch try Commander's Palace (another Brenan's family restaurant). You will need to get a cab or I think you can take the trolley down St. Charles and get pretty close. Get the bread pudding souffl? for desert. My wife and I go there sometimes when we go back to visit her family for Christmas. Definitely make reservations! Expect to pay around $100 for two. But it is worth it if you like good food and world class service.

Well, as it turns out there is an upper level low developing over SE Texas that is going to keep pulling moisture over western LA from the gulf, and it's showing a lot of vorticity which will continue to create weather even without daytime heating...

That's a long way of saying the plane stays in the hangar and we're going by cattle-car.

:mad:

KNEW

Hey Greg,
I just stopped into Lakefront on my cross country trek. Talk about 1st class service. I pulled up in my 6A right behind a 6. Both were greeted by the line service at Flightline First and our bags taken inside. They called a cab for me, although I didn't need one. I hung out in the lounge for a few hours waiting on my buddy to show up. Free internet, TV, coffee, water, tea, popcorn, cookies, etc. Great FBO.
Fees are $10 for outside tiedown/ $20 for hangar per night. $20 'handling' fee charged by the city, but waived with a minimum fuel purchase. I asked what the minimum fuel purchase was, and she stated 'what ever I wanted, they just needed to show I was supporting the city'

So for my one night, I paid for tie down and 5 gallons of fuel. I called the next morning on my way to the airport and my RV was parked right outside of the FBO doors. Great service even for us little guys!

Dan