tvlawyer

This message board is incredible... so much information in one place. It's been very instrumental in my decision to build my own RV8.

Here's my first of many questions for all:

What aftermarket improvements to the basic quick build kit did you make,plan to make, or wish you had made? I'm trying to determine which ones I want and the corresponding parts I can delete from my kit order.

I'm booked for the RV Assembly class at Aircraft Spruce in September and the empennage class in Griffin, Georgia in December. This is gonna be so cool!

Last edited:
This message board is incredible... so much information in one place. It's been very instrumental in my decision to build my own RV8.

Here's my first of many questions for all:

What aftermarket improvements to the basic quick build kit did you make,plan to make, or wish you had made? I'm trying to determine which ones I want and the corresponding parts I can delete from my kit order.

I'm booked for the RV Assembly class at Aircraft Spruce in September and the empennage class in Griffin, Georgia in December. This is gonna be so cool!

Welcome Larry,
You'll find a wealth of information on this site. It becomes overwhelming at times. The search feature is good for looking for things that may have been covered already or for continueing the flow of info. Check out the Builders Modification link on the left side of the home page.
Enjoy the builders class and have fun building.

Welcome welcome!!

Yep these forums are great. As mentioned, make use of the search function to find previous threads. Not always easiest to use, but often you hit gold.

On my RV-8 I am planning to use AFS EMS and EFIS, AFS Angle-of-Attack Pro, probably the showplanes fastback option (though there are rumours Vans might be offering a FB). I have duckworks leading edge lights (plain ones, not HID). Went for the Vans/Whelan lighting system 6. Evans Aviation unheated pitot tube. Evans Aviation also built my fuel tanks, but now I have experience with building and proseal I'd do them myself next time. SafeAir1 pitot and static tube kits. I'd like to go for Grove aluminium gear but I think I might run out of pages in my chequebook!! I'm probably going to use Classic Aero leather seats; lots of $$$ but most people think its worth it. I'll probably go with a Todd canopy: I need to check it out but I think they may be higher quality. Ditto for a Sam James or showplanes cowl, depending on engine. Not sure yet.

Cheers,

Welcome from Athens.

You ask a question with endless answers! You will find amazing stuff that folks have done, so I really suggest the web and all the site links on Vans site.

You can come look at mine anytime-fishing rod holder built in the back etc. I also mounted my air ramp under the front floor a bit differently from the plans, and I like it.

I am at Athens. Also look up Kahuna and the Team RV guys--they have a few things to offer.

We also have a subaru powered -7 at Athens to view.

Welcome!

Hello Larry - welcome to the addiction....

My -8 is basically a stock QB - I made essentially no changes to the design - Van built a winner for me, and I stuck to the plans. Of course, I added a glass cockpit and a redundant power system, but otherwise, I went with the Van's FWF kit and only fabricated a few special items (like my electrical panel). Lots of folks have done a lot of really great and useful mods....I figure that now that I know what I'm doing, I might get a little more creative if there's a next time....

Paul

Welcome TV Lawyer

Larry,
I am building an 8A in Stone Mountain, GA. I am also a lawyer. Welcome to the RV Bar Assoc. Feel free to give me a call so that we can swap builder's tips. I am currently finishing up the wings and will start on the fuse in Sep. In answer to your question, I have decided to keep everything bone stock for now. Every possible modification adds to the complexity of construction. As a practical matter, you build the tail and wings first, which have very little possibility of modification. So, you have about a year's worth of building to contemplate mods which would come much later in construction (mostly in the finish kit). By then, you will have a good idea of where you are heading.
Steve Ashby
Ashby Family Law Associates
770-493-4924

Hi guys

Welcome Larry and "HI" to Steve again. Steve, if you and Larry want to ride, call me and I'll run on up there for gas,
Pierre

Legal question to Mr. Silverman or Mr. Ashby

Welcome to the world of homebuilding. I'm building an RV-8, and have on occasion wondered what the liability factor is if an individual (and especially in the case of a high net worth person) eventually sells his homebuilt airplane. I'm sure you've given this matter some consideration, and I wonder if you could share your thoughts on this forum.. Regardless, I wish you as much fun and challenge as what I am enjoying on my airplane... T.N.

RV8 CANADA

I'm just about done a rv8 with a areosprt io360m1b. The engine has 10:1 pistons and has being ported and balanced, inverted tanks, raven inverted oil, light speed 3 ignition, and a hartzel blended prop. Hoping it will be fast and climb well for some fun areobatics. The dash has dynons and a trutrack ap, garmin stack 396, gtx 327, sl30 oh and a glove box! Prepare to spend lots of money hope its worth it. Anyone else in Canada should let me know as there are only 8 flying right now.
Scott