tfoster100

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Friend
Hello, I have been reading your forum off an on for the last year. Just officially joined and donated to the cause. Thanks for this great website.

I am currently studying for my PPL. My question is - should i learn in a 172 or similar flight school plane, or try to take flying lessons in an RV. I am hooked on the RV's from reading this site and hearing about the benefits of these planes over other planes.

I am wondering if its better to get started on a 172 and then after some experience under my belt graduate up to an RV if possible.

Thanks

Tim

Aspiring future RV9A owner and pilot.

Tim,
Welcome to VAF! Unfortunately getting primary instruction for your PPL in an RV, or any other E-AB certifed aircraft, is pretty much a no-go unless you own it. Then you can hire a willing CFI and get'r done. Otherwise you're stuck renting a Spam Can.

A number of folks without PPLs have built their planes first and then went on to get their ratings. Of course, if you have the funds you can also just go buy a completed RV and shorten the process considerably. However, I think the conservative thing to do is to start taking lessons and see where that takes you. Van's and/or RV's will be there when you're ready.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hello, I have been reading your forum off an on for the last year. Just officially joined and donated to the cause. Thanks for this great website.

Tim, Aspiring future RV9A owner and pilot.

Tim, welcome to the best RV site on the planet :D

Here is my $.02 worth of advice-------start your training in the 172 or other typical flight school bird. After you get to feeling comfortable in it, go for a ride in an RV, and compare how it flys, and then decide if you will feel comfortable learning in it.

The big thing that is going to get in the way, far as I can tell, is finding an instructor to teach you in the RV-----and you will probably need to be the owner as was already mentioned.

You could get lucky, and find an instructor who will trade you time instructing, if you let him/her fly the plane for fun.

Good luck in whichever you choose, it is gonna be a fun ride.

Start your training in a spam can!

Also, Primary training contributes a certain amount of "aircraft abuse" in the beginning hours. Cessnas are built with this in mind.

Basics

I think the conservative thing to do is to start taking lessons and see where that takes you. Van's and/or RV's will be there when you're ready.

Tim,
As Todd and Mike have said, the airplane you start with really doesn't matter in the big picture. They are all airplanes, and the same rules apply. Sure, the RVs are wonderful machines, but a little varied experience is a good thing. Also, when starting from square one, "shop" a few instructors and flight schools. The relationship with your instructor is very important, find an instructor that you really enjoy and respect. I had the privelege to learn to fly with a really wonderful instructor 46 years and 15000 hours ago. To this day I can still hear her voice in my head. Thanks Maureen!

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

spam cans 'R us!

I trained on a Piper cherokee, and I think it might be preferable to a 172 in that the transition would not be quite as dramatic...but still not a big issue....just that the sight picture is more similar.

And by all means, you'll want to drop, beat, stall, spin, & otherwise abuse the flight school plane before your own!
I did my recurrency training on my own -9a, and felt really apprehensive about doing short field work, for example, where I'd drop it on the threshold, and then stand on the brakes! MY brakes! & My poor nosegear! Needless to say, no spin practice in the -9a.

Excellent advice on the forum...

I would train in the Cessna 172. I am building a RV-9A and at the time I started my emp I finished training in the Cessna. As stated before, they are built to be trained in so they can take the abuse of "three legged" landings. Additionally, unless you can finish an RV and get one flying relatively quickly you are going to be looking for something to fly in the interim. The Cessna's are widely available to fly through clubs and schools and are "cheap" to own.
The Cessna 172 is my second favorite plane. Its a good stable, reliable platform that will help make you a confident pilot.
Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice - that makes a lot of sense. I am in the DFW area so I plan to check out some of the local schools and will most likely train in the 172 or 152.

I have been waiting to do this all my life so really ready to get started.

Thanks again for all the good suggestions and I will train (beat up) the 172 before i hopefully get an rv.

Tim