Aryana

Well Known Member
Hi folks. I have been lurking here for about 3 years and had decided that I wouldn't register on the forum until I either bought an RV that someone else built, or bought an empennage kit and started building my own. After my first flight, I had to finally join!

Bottom line, my first ride in an RV was great. I've learned so much from this forum in the past few years. (definitely know how to use a torque wrench extension now, LOL!).

Last edited:
Welcome to having been bitten by the bug! Life won't be the same. Interestingly, I know someone locally who is looking to buy a C-170 and another who is selling is RV-8A.

Struggling myself with a bit of a conundrum... Can't afford an RV10 and the RV6A i'm flying isn't big enough for the family anymore. Thinking about selling the 6A I built and getting a 170 like you have. I'm just not sure for the same reasons you just listed...

Welcome aboard and enjoy the build!

Thanks!!!! I'm definitely going to buy one already done instead of building. I've had my share of rebuilding old airplanes over the past 20 years and always dreamed of starting with fresh sheet metal instead of old dirty parts, but I think I want to fly more than I want to build.

Welcome to having been bitten by the bug! Life won't be the same. Interestingly, I know someone locally who is looking to buy a C-170 and another who is selling is RV-8A.

I'll probably post an ad on Barnstormers when I'm really ready. Who knows, there might be someone out there willing to trade + cash for their RV8/RV4!

Would have to have the taildragger though...I love the lines of the 4/8 without the nosewheel.

Last edited:
Struggling myself with a bit of a conundrum... Can't afford an RV10 and the RV6A i'm flying isn't big enough for the family anymore. Thinking about selling the 6A I built and getting a 170 like you have. I'm just not sure for the same reasons you just listed...

95% of my flying is done alone, so the 170's extra seats are usually empty. I figure I'll just rent a 182 when I have more than one passenger. I am really looking forward to being seated on the centerline with a stick instead of a yoke.

Traveling long distance in the 170 isn't the best...100-105 knots at 8-8.5 GPH. BUT, it will land in ridiculously small spaces!

Last edited:
If you like the RV10, wait till you get an RV8! I laugh...because now you know why many of us call it the $50,000 ride. The ride is free, but you'll likely spend a LOT of money later on! :)

Welcome to the VAF group, you won't find a better group of new friends to hang around with. BTW, there are also lots of us that like the older planes too (your 170 is gorgeous). I can say with a fair amount of certainty that once you get good in the RV8 (especially with a CS prop), it will pretty much go anywhere the 170 will. I kept my RV6 on a short grass strip where the owner had a 170, and I could beat him almost anywhere...landing or takeoff.

Cheers,
Stein

Welcome aboard, and welcome to the RV addiction! :D

BTW, that's a very nice looking C170 you've got there.... you ought to take it to Oshkosh and hang a "For Sale" sign on the prop. I'll bet it'll attract the attention of potential buyers real quick there.

Sell that Jeep and those motorcycles too, and join the RV ownership club.

I flew a Cherokee 140 for a decade, and could just barely afford that, but after getting bit by the RV bug and helping friends build four different RVs including a -10 and a hotrod -8 (and getting to fly the -8 to Oshkosh two years in a row) I had to have an RV of my own, so I finally bought an RV-6. Can't really afford it, but I bought it anyway :D

Might reconsider

If I were in your position, I'd acquire the RV now - then get married. Beware anyone who wants to 'change' you. make sure that she will 'support' your hobby. Find out now rather than later. Just my 1 cents worth.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hi folks. I have been lurking here for about 3 years and had decided that I wouldn't register on the forum until I either bought an RV that someone else built, or bought an empennage kit and started building my own. After my first flight, I had to finally join!

I've learned so much from this forum in the past few years. (definitely know how to use a torque wrench extension now, LOL!)

Arash, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

Congrats on figuring out the secret for putting photos in...........

Glad you got the torque wrench figured out:D

If I were in your position, I'd acquire the RV now - then get married. Beware anyone who wants to 'change' you. make sure that she will 'support' your hobby. Find out now rather than later. Just my 1 cents worth.

She's 100% on board. She loves flying, but complains that the Cessna is too slow and underpowered :eek: as she likes to use the plane for travel.

After talking about building one for years, she thinks buying one already done is a great idea!!

I already have 2 airplanes (Aeronca Sedan + the Cessna) so going down to 1 RV would actually lower our fixed costs (hangar, etc...).

She's 100% on board. She loves flying, but complains that the Cessna is too slow and underpowered :eek: as she likes to use the plane for travel.

After talking about building one for years, she thinks buying one already done is a great idea!!

I already have 2 airplanes (Aeronca Sedan + the Cessna) so going down to 1 RV would actually lower our fixed costs (hangar, etc...).

Now there's a classy airplane!!!! Almost the ideal combination, a 15AC and an RV...who could ask for anything more!? :)

Cheers,
Stein

Fillin in the gap for you.

Now there's a classy airplane!!!! Almost the ideal combination, a 15AC and an RV...who could ask for anything more!? :)

Cheers,
Stein
Stein, you said "almost" the Ideal Combination--------the actual ideal combination is the woman who loves to fly, the 15ac, and the RV.:D

Awesome

Sounds like you are really lucky and blessed. Good luck in your marriage, etc. So many flyers don't have their partners on board. Very sad.

My thanks to you all for the warm welcome! I'll get some photos of the Sedan up. The Aeronca and the RV might be a winning combo...best of both worlds.

Welcome to the "dark side" Aryana. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my 170 AND put an engine in my -7. I'm only a few months into SB wings, so I have a year or two to figure it out. I've had the 170 nearly 30 years, and regardless of its shortcomings I've become quite attached to it...

file.php

Welcome!

Welcome Aryana!

Ok, so there must be some shared DNA between the 170 and the RV. I never got to the point of owning one - but I was really looking into 170 a few years ago. I like that the 170 is a taildragger - and it has the utility of the four seats. I don't know - but you cannot go wrong with an -8...and I should know... because.... because, I want one too. :D HA!

Anyways, congratulations on the clarity that your first flight provided - now go out and find a flying RV to buy. Good luck!

Hi Miles! I have been following your build log and wish I had the time to enjoy a build like you are doing.

Maybe I can just win the lottery, get a big box hangar and keep all these planes around!

BTW, 98C is looking GOOD!

- Arash

Welcome Aryana!

Ok, so there must be some shared DNA between the 170 and the RV. I never got to the point of owning one - but I was really looking into 170 a few years ago. I like that the 170 is a taildragger - and it has the utility of the four seats. I don't know - but you cannot go wrong with an -8...and I should know... because.... because, I want one too. :D HA!

Anyways, congratulations on the clarity that your first flight provided - now go out and find a flying RV to buy. Good luck!

Thanks Jim! The 170 is such a good all around performer (in it's category of course)...similar to the way the RV line leads it's category too (the 170 is just 60 years older!). Makes you realize performance is much more than just doing one thing good!

-Arash

Last edited:
All that stuff is pricey junk.

You should consider a less expensive alternative. Consider joining the real pilots and buy something from Russia or Eastern Europe. There are some real good deals our there, and most of them seem to have round engines.

By the way, that 170 picture looks like one cool airplane. Is it original?

Flightbag

Last edited:
Welcome to the "dark side" Aryana. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my 170 AND put an engine in my -7.

Miles, I sold my Aero Commander Darter just to pay Stein for the instruments, and I was still $8K short! Let's not even talk about the engine...

Aryana, I respect you wanting to buy instead of build. However it's really not that long of a process with a QB. I got mine March 31st (this year) and I was shooting for Sept. Delays in interior, engine, etc are prob going to make it Oct sometime. That's still not bad! That's only 6-7 months. Also you don't have that little voice whispering to you while you are upside down saying "I wonder if the guy that built this was having an off day when he attached the empennage..." So 6 months... it will take you that long to sell just ONE airplane! I say all this with a grin. ;) It's pretty hard to mess up these airplanes, and over-built is a word Van invented. Welcome and good luck!!

Build time

It took me 1660 hrs of hands on building time to fly away my QB RV-9A. It also took 4 yrs to complete, so it's matter of how one divides out the the time. Work FULL time on the project and you could in theory knock one out inside a year.

All that stuff is pricey junk.

You should consider a less expensive alternative. Consider joining the real pilots and buy something from Russia or Eastern Europe. There are some real good deals our there, and most of them seem to have round engines.

By the way, that 170 picture looks like one cool airplane. Is it original?

Flightbag

Yep, all original...still has the 145 HP O-300.

Aryana, I respect you wanting to buy instead of build. However it's really not that long of a process with a QB. I got mine March 31st (this year) and I was shooting for Sept. Delays in interior, engine, etc are prob going to make it Oct sometime. That's still not bad! That's only 6-7 months. Also you don't have that little voice whispering to you while you are upside down saying "I wonder if the guy that built this was having an off day when he attached the empennage..." So 6 months... it will take you that long to sell just ONE airplane! I say all this with a grin. ;) It's pretty hard to mess up these airplanes, and over-built is a word Van invented. Welcome and good luck!!

Thanks, I still have plenty of time to consider the best route and will certainly always have the urge to bang a bunch of rivets myself!

Build or buy

To me there is no question,,,,,,BUILD,,,,,, there are very few things in life more thrilling than lineing up on the end of the runway center line, feeding in full throttle, and rising into the air in an airplane that you built. The only problem!!!! When the day comes that one must sell this thing that you have created, it is like selling your only begotten son off to the infidels.
Dave PS the six is for sale so I can fly the seven all the time.

Keep It

Your Cessna 170 is a great plane. Keep it!
A RV8 and your Cessna will give you the best for both missions.
I have a 1976 C180 for camping and a RV8 for traveling.
I was going to sell the Exp Super Cub that I built in 2002 to pay for the 180,,,but no buyers came forward, so, I still use it for local flights.