N208ET

Well Known Member
A friend of mine told me that the expiration on his third class medical is 5 years for somebody under 40 years of age. It must have changed in the not to distant past if that is the case, it use to be 3 years for us minus 40 folk. If that is the case, did anything change for those people aft of 40?

Randy

Ok so my question is if I got my medical a little over 2.5 years ago do I need to get it again this summer because I got it when the rule was 3 years? or is mine now good for another 2.5 years (5 years total)?

Ok so my question is if I got my medical a little over 2.5 years ago do I need to get it again this summer because I got it when the rule was 3 years? or is mine now good for another 2.5 years (5 years total)?

The certificate they issue has no expiration date on it...you use the current expiration rule that is in effect. So as long as you hadn't had you 40th birthday before the date your current certificate was issued, I would say that under the current rules you are good until five years (unless any medical issue up in that time that would require you to stop flying).

The certificate they issue has no expiration date on it...you use the current expiration rule that is in effect. So as long as you hadn't had you 40th birthday before the date your current certificate was issued, I would say that under the current rules you are good until five years (unless any medical issue up in that time that would require you to stop flying).

so i should get my next medical at 39 years and 11 months (it works for my current medical!)?

The FAA was very clear when they passed this rule last year that it was retroactive. Meaning if you were issued a medical before your 40th birthday, but 3 yrs has passed, it is now automatically good until 5 yrs after it was issued.

so i should get my next medical at 39 years and 11 months (it works for my current medical!)?

Getting a medical the day before your 40th birthday would ensure that you don't need to get another one until your 45th birthday.

I like hex

I am officially 32 in hexadecimal. :D (hex = base 16 or in other words 3x16 + 2 = 50 in base 10)

I'm just happy that I only have to get my 1st once a year now instead of every 6 months!

5 years for a 3rd... wow. ;-)