WildThing

Well Known Member
Patron
Matched hole vs jig built fuselage?

Hi All. I picked up an RV-8A with the wings and emp already built, so I'm "beginning" my sheetmetal experience with the fuselage. Has anyone built both the original jig style and a new matched hole fuselage for an -8A? I'm wondering if the "simplicity" factor is worth it to sell my "old" fuse and pick up a new one. Thanks

Last edited:
Supposed to knock almost 200 hours off the build. Good luck finding someone to buy it though. I have the old fuse and its a PIA.

"Hi All. I picked up an RV-8A with the wings and emp already built, so I'm "beginning" my sheetmetal experience with the fuselage. Has anyone built both the original jig style and a new matched hole fuselage for an -8A? I'm wondering if the "simplicity" factor is worth it to sell my "old" fuse and pick up a new one. Thanks"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch! Bad place to start. The tail and wings are less of a challenge, and sorta train the newbie in the process. The fuselage, while not difficult, was a much greater effort.

With no experience, I completed the tail kit in about six weeks. The slow build wings took five months. The fuselage took about a year with the remainder of the time spent finishing that last ten percent that takes ninety percent of the time.

Get some help if you need it, and don't let yourself get discouraged. You will have a steep learning curve, and will have to give yourself a break when it comes to errors.

Stick with it, the RV-8 is well worth any and all effort!

Plan "A"

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to continue with Plan "A" and keep the old style fuse and just pay attention and ask questions when needed. I've almost got the jig level/square/plumb. I've got to build a work bench, dimpling table, and something to (conveniently) hold my plans. Then I'll practice dimpling/deburring/bucking/etc on some scrap. THEN dive carefully in! This is a GREAT resource - keep up the good work!

Jeff