ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Browsing the Whelen site, I came across a potential option for those of us wanting LED strobes that don't cost an arm and a leg. Whelen calls this the "Vertex" and one of it's design features is "No RFI noise emitted" which bodes well for those of us that tried the Nova / Creativair solution. They are about $70/each. http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.php?head_id=12&cat_id=0&prod_id=427

The only possible downside (and it's a big one) is that I can't find any information on how bright they are. I have an e-mail into them to find out more and will report back when I have the info.

That is a hide-away-strobe for cars and trucks. SAE class 5 is very low intensity, and it comes no where near what you need for an airplane. Airplanes use strobes that are brighter than SAE class 1.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC

That is a hide-away-strobe for cars and trucks. SAE class 5 is very low intensity, and it comes no where near what you need for an airplane. Airplanes use strobes that are brighter than SAE class 1.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC

Thanks, but I'm still interested in hearing back from Whelen and not one of their competitors.

If you can check out the police cars in your area. They seem to have switched many of them over to the LED strobes. They don't seem very bright.

Thanks, but I'm still interested in hearing back from Whelen and not one of their competitors.

Dean is informed and correct.

P.S. Do you really think Whelen is going to suggest you use a non-aviation Whelen product on an airplane?

Last edited: