Phil

Well Known Member
Well, as some of you know, I've had a hard time getting my IFR chekride scheduled and completed.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27261

This morning the stars aligned and I completed the last segment of the checkride.

I'm looking forward to an easier IFR day and chance to try out the new skills and build some solo confidence.

What's next??? Probably driving many more rivets and then the commerical ticket.

Phil

The IFR one is the most difficult by a ways in my view.

The commercial is the most fun.. Congrats.

Advice: Instrument Competency Check

Well, as some of you know, I've had a hard time getting my IFR chekride scheduled and completed.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27261

This morning the stars aligned and I completed the last segment of the check ride.

I'm looking forward to an easier IFR day and chance to try out the new skills and build some solo confidence.

What's next??? Probably driving many more rivets and then the commercial ticket.

Phil
Congrats, but don't get rusty........keep practicing.
IFR skills are the hardest to stay proficient on.
Let me give you a piece of free advice (worth every penny!)
First the FAR's say:

Sec. 61.57
Recent flight experience: Pilot in command
(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought--
(i) At least six instrument approaches;
(ii) Holding procedures; and
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.
(2) snip

(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who does not meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section within the prescribed time, or within 6 calendar months after the prescribed time, may not serve as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR until that person passes an instrument proficiency check consisting of a representative number of tasks required by the instrument rating practical test.

(1) The instrument proficiency check must be--
(i) In an aircraft that is appropriate to the aircraft category;
(ii) For other than a glider, in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category; or
(iii) For a glider, in a single-engine airplane or a glider.
(2) The instrument proficiency check must be given by--
(i) An examiner;
(ii) snip
(iii) snip
(iv) An authorized flight instructor; or
(v) snip
(e) Exception (snip)
------------
There is the min currency and than there is proficient; Say no more than that. Be thy own judge.​

Here is the advice. Schedule a 6 month Inst. Comp. (proficiency) check. Go up and really work up a sweat in a couple of hours. It can be done in one session as a warm up training, and on another session the "Comp Check". Than the CFI-I signs you off for you comp check, and you are good for 6 mo legally. Proficiency is another story.

You could in theory not fly once for 5 months and go do 3 t/g's VFR. Than a day or week later go launch into solid IMC. I know comp checks or check rides are not fun, but having that pressure, a qualified safety pilot/observer/instructor is a good way to grow. Do you think being in hard IFR in bad weather, turbulence and low mins is not pressure? All a CFII can do is NOT sign you off. It's not like you fail, you just do some more training to the CFI's satisfaction. The "key" word is instrument proficiency check, NOT instrument check ride.

An in between is every 3 months schedule a training flight and get your 6 approaches in with 6 months.

Inst comp check is one of the easiest ways to keep truly legal. Another way is hook up with another IFR pilot and fly together as need every month to stay current, acting as safety pilots for each other. A IFR rated safety pilot is better than a VFR safety pilot. IMC flight is worth 10 to 1 under the hood. I don't have to say it, but I will. Please avoid the temptation to practice IFR in VFR conditions with out a safety pilot.

Obviously flying all the time and flying is best but if you are building that is hard to do. Congrats to you and your CFI on your new rating.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with George

Got my rating just under a year ago and find I have to fly 3 approaches a month to stay current which I do with an instrument student friend of mine...And students know EVERYTHING!...:)

As to what to do next...Go to acro school..I did and its a blast..:)

Frank

Set your minimums high! 200 and a 1/2 is not to be taken lightly!

Last edited:
Great work

Great work and what a relief. Yes it is tough. Having just completed the fixed wing in January and the Helicopter 2 weeks ago today I'm still recovering.

They Fixed Wing school used the acronym 66 HIT to remember currency requirements.

6- approaches
6- months
H- 1 hold
I- 1 Intercept
T- 1 Track

Time flies. I'm over two months out now on the fixed wing. I need to get out and do some stuff.

IFR High Performance vs. Stable Airplanes

I've flown IFR in a Cessna 182. The other aspect of difficulty is flying a stable airplane that can be trimmed and is fairly docile wrt the controls. An RV is a very responsive airplane and the white knuckle on the RV stick will created some large attitude changes. It will be another story to handle the RV in IMC. I've also heard a two axis autopilot is essential for an RV. I believe this will be another learning curve and more opportunity to get instruction.