X To Fly

For the past several months I have been reading build logs on the internet from all over. I have just about convinced myself to start a kit soon, not the quick build but the other one from scratch.
I like doing slow tedious work that the kit presents but also have the motivation and persistence to build other planes after mine.
Does anyone see a market for building these kits and selling them, and or is there anyone who is already doing this?
I think I'm ready for a carrer change after 28 years.
I'm already a pilot, clockmaker and have restored 57 chevys to show condition I believe this would be refreshing building a plane.
;)
Thanks George K.

Not legal

Experimental certification is for builder education & recreation. The FAA is cracking down on companies doing too much of the construction.

There are builder assistance programs but for those you need to host the builders on-site and help them do the work.

-Rick

Rick's Right - not legal.....

....However, if you REALLY are looking for a change, I suppose you could move to a differnt country (someplace warm and tropical) that might allow such a thing! It would be interesting to survey the rules around the world and see where you could do it...

I met a great guy in Moscow last year that is doing exactly that - buying kits from Van's and building airplanes for people. I wonder if Alex is still out there reading the forum?

Paul

:eek: Were not doing anything illegal for sure when it comes to the FAA.
I'll stick to mine thanks for the quick info. I will be in touch with many questions I'm sure when I start.

I think I do live in the tropics... mid summer in central Alabama.
Thanks George K.

Of course you could build and fly it then sell it. And do it again and again. Nothing wrong with that. There are several RV repeat offenders that are doing it. I just don't think they are trying to make a living from it. :cool:

Karl

Cars vs airplanes

One of the nicest things about airplane construction is that unlike a car you don't have to take it apart and clean it all first.

Its quite delightful in that respect. I'm glad you like slow work cus there is a LOT of it!

Just plan out what 2500 hours looks like in terms of how many hours per day for how long just to make sure you (and your family) understand what your getting into.

Oh yes...And if your into metal...by an RV...This is my second plane and the finished product is about the best metal airplane if you like performance...:)
Frank

frankh....Hours are not a problem I put over 5000 in a 57 chevy sold it in February 32 years to the date I bought it, did the frame off thing and all of that good stuff back in the late 80's.

RV8N...I guess I may have come over to strong at first with my 1st post here. I have no plans on starting an assembly line building and selling RV aircraft. It would be only me doing the work and I have noticed several builders doing just that, matter of fact I found one site where a person has just started his 6 plane, he has sold them all.

There must be some liability doing such work like that.

Never the less I do plan on starting one soon, thanks everyone for the replies. ;)