Al RV8

I found out that the new "G" hub is now available at the Van's site.

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto...6-50-342&browse=props&product=csprop-hartzell

To my disappointment and surprise the price has been raised $1470 to $13,200. Vans will not produce their spinner for this prop so you are left with a 1" gap between spinner / cowl or buying a Hartzell AL spinner for $1350. $14,550 puts this new combo out of reach in my humble opinion! I really wanted this prop but...how much is too much??

Now I am thinking of going with the Whirlwind 2-blade 2013 RV for $9215 including spinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in too deep to change paths now . . .

The standard hub just might work with the Vans' cowl. I have not taken measurements on the standard 6/7 cowl, but I do know the SJ will not provide clearance. I spoke to Will James a couple of weeks ago on another issue and he was not aware that there was a clearance issue with this prop at full pitch. I made measurements and sent them to him. You just might contact him and see if he is working on a new cowl for this prop. I will be displacing the cowl inlets aft (SJ Long) to provide clearance, then taking appropriate ( no idea what that is) action to move the nose forward back to fill the gap to normal clearance with the Vans spinner. The contour from the spinner nose back across the top of the cowl will have to be inspected to see how extensive this fix truly is.

Have you contacted Vans to see if they are working on a new spinner and bulkheads for this?

Have you contacted Vans to see if they are working on a new spinner and bulkheads for this?

Yes, I talked to Vans and that is where I got my information in the first post.

UPDATE ON "G" HUB

I talked to Hartzell about pricing and I now see that Van's has dropped the price to $12,000 for the prop and $1200 for the Hartzell Polished spinner.

Still too pricey

compared to the standard two blade Hartzell with Van's spinner. I believe I paid $5800 for the Hartzell prop plus about $200 for Van's Spinner kit in 2007. I do not have the blended airfoil, but have yet to be disappointed by the performance.

Best regards,

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
Lee's Summit, MP

I now see that Van's has dropped the price to $12,000 for the prop and $1200 for the Hartzell Polished spinner.

Well that's a step in the right direction:rolleyes:. Unfortunately it's only a baby step:(.

I would like to make that the prop for my -8 when I'm ready. It looks like a weapon!
I don't remember reading any of the prop vs. prop comparisons yielding more that 5kts. difference, or a couple hundred feet/min. of climb which makes choosing a prop basically an exercise in aesthetics.
I have never flown a plane w/ a composite prop either, but can imagine the quicker response to power inputs would be nice.

Anyway, hopefully the price for this new prop will be within a couple thousand dollars by the time I need to shell it out.

Fingers crossed.
Tom

Mucho Denero...

Al,
$13,200?
Wow, I have less than that in my engine and prop...:)

V/R
Smokey

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto...6-50-342&browse=props&product=csprop-hartzell

To my disappointment and surprise the price has been raised $1470 to $13,200. Vans will not produce their spinner for this prop so you are left with a 1" gap between spinner / cowl or buying a Hartzell AL spinner for $1350. $14,550 puts this new combo out of reach in my humble opinion! I really wanted this prop but...how much is too much??

Now I am thinking of going with the Whirlwind 2-blade 2013 RV for $9215 including spinner.

Service cost ?

Is there a service cost consideration between the (WW 650 hr inspection) and the Hartzell? Does the Hartzell have required inspections?

Last edited: