BrickPilot

Hi all, my first post to the VAF (okay.. second after the relief tube wisecrack).

I need to build a plane. Although I own a very nice 74' Cessna 182 which I love... this virus has been growing ever since I started my PPL training. And now it won't stop nagging at me. So, I'm convinced I need to start the ball rolling towards building... it's the only thing that's going to help manage my condition. I'm a bit intimidated by the building process, but I've got it bad, so I'm sure that I can overcome any fear. :eek:

I'll be moving my family to Lehi, UT later this year, as we're having a home built there (which should be complete in late spring of '07.) My first big project on the homesite is to build an outbuilding complex, the focus of which will be a large shop in which I can build, so given that may take several months, I might not be able to start building until sometime late next year. Any pointers for what you folks would consider must-haves and nice-to-haves in a new shop? :confused: Also, are there any Vans builders based out of Provo or nearby that I can get to know?

Lastly, the wife doesn't want me to sell the Skylane, but I don't see how the money is going to happen for an RV-8 unless I do. Any pointers for calming petulent wives? (Divorce is not a viable option.) :D

Dont sell unless you have to, or find some other option to keep flying (club). The last thing you want to do is let your skills fade while you build.

Charlie Becker
N464CB(r) RV8A (Subie H-6)
Finishing Kit

A Different Perspective

It's not a hobby like golf. It is deadly serious undertaking and you have to want to do it for some purpose or you shouldn't do it at all. Many pilots I have known would give anything to have your situation - a wife that actually cares about the family airplane and likes to fly in it. I also have that wonderfully pleasant situation.

I found a 4'X8' workbench with a particle board top that I could drill right into and clecoe parts to on occassion for precise assembly was my most important use every day "tool".

My guess is you will build a Quick Build kit so you will need something to support the fuselage. I made up two saw horses out of 2"x6" pine and covered the top with cheap carpeting bought from Home Depot. Later I made 4 more our of 2"x4" stud boards to support the wings during the alignment and rigging process.

I bought 4 car jacks to precisely align the fuselage reference plane for setting the required installation angles (incidence, etc.).

I spent 8 years building my RV-6A and I owned a 1981 Piper Archer II the whole time. When it came time to make the first flight in the RV-6A I was not trying to get back into flying and be a test pilot at the same time. In the Phase 1 test period I had problems that were handled satisfactorily but I'm not sure they would have been if I had not been flying for 8 years. I got an equity line of credit on our house and financed the airplane I was building that way. I agree with your wife hang on to the 182 and keep flying. I think many people burn out during the build process because they don't have a life that involves flying. There was never a lull in the whole 8 years for me.

Bob Axsom

A Different Perspective

It's not a hobby like golf and in my case it is not a hobby at all. It is deadly serious undertaking and you have to want to do it for some purpose or you shouldn't do it at all in my opinion. Many pilots I have known would give anything to have your situation - a wife that actually cares about the family airplane and likes to fly in it. I also have that wonderfully pleasant situation.

I found a 4'X8' workbench with a particle board top that I could drill right into and clecoe parts to on occassion for precise assembly was my most important "use every day to start every task" tool.

My guess is you will build a Quick Build kit so you will need something to support the fuselage. I made up two saw horses out of 2"x6" pine and covered the top with cheap carpeting bought from Home Depot. Later I made 4 more our of 2"x4" stud boards to support the wings during the alignment and rigging process.

I bought 4 car jacks to precisely align the fuselage reference plane for setting the required installation angles (incidence, etc.).

The power tools I bought - well I won't to tell you because you will have your own techniques for building the airplane. The most important thing that any new builder can do is PARTICIPATE IN A SHORT TRAINING PROGRAM THAT WILL TEACH YOU TECHNIQUIES FOR BUILDING AND TOOL USAGE. That is so essential it can't be ignored. Then you will know the essential tools to start with at least.

I spent 8 years building my RV-6A and I owned a 1981 Piper Archer II the whole time. When it came time to make the first flight in the RV-6A I was not trying to get back into flying and be a test pilot at the same time. In the Phase 1 test period I had problems that were handled satisfactorily but I'm not sure they would have been if I had not been flying for 8 years. I got an equity line of credit on our house and financed the airplane I was building that way. I agree with your wife hang on to the 182 and keep flying. There are several airports in that area and if you can figure out a way to incorporate your airplane into your daily commute - well, it just doesn't get any better than that. I think many people burn out during the build process because they don't have a life that involves flying. There was never a lull in the whole 8 years for me.

Bob Axsom

BrickPilot-The last statement of your post says it all. "the wife dosen't want me to sell the Skylane" You were asking for advice from the wrong crowd this time. Of course this forum is all about wanting to get more people to build and fly RV aircraft, but take off the rose colored glasses my friend and realize what your wife is really saying. The 182 Skylane is roomy, easy for a woman to step up into, a place for all the luggage she carries on a trip, twice the amount if not more than you can fit in the 2 place model RV's, and if you are talking RV-10 you will have twice what that Cessna costs in it before you are done, plus -and this is the big one- all that time you spent building it away from your wife unless she wants to help. ( but you did say she wants to keep the Skylane) You can build the RV and risk getting divorced, or enjoy flying the aircraft you now own along with your wife until someday she decides an RV is in your future.

Thanks all. Excellent suggestions.

I spoke with my wife about some of the thoughts mentioned here and we're in agreement... keep the Skylane, build the RV in stages as time and money allows (that's the whole idea anyway, right?) and at some point when the -8 is complete, we'll make the "owning two aircraft" thing work. By then, I should be CEO of Autodesk, so no sweat, right? :D

Brick
I'm not even a pilot yet but I sure am enjoying it. I built an 'L" shaped work bench that is 11' by 14'. I also have 2 rolling workbenchs that are 3'x7'. One is for assemby and one is for my dimpler. the set up is working great.. I also spent a little more money and bought a large compressor from Lowes and with the volume it runs very little.

I am building a rv10 and the instructions are out of this world! Vans hasen't missed a thing so far..Good luck