propsync

Well Known Member
Hi Group,

I'm new to Experimentals and VANs in general. I'm most impressed with the available cruising speeds of these models.

I'm considering buying a completed RV or possibly building one, maybe even both at the same time.

I'm mostly interested in the RV7 and RV9. I must confess, I have read the VAN's description of both aircraft, but I'm still not entirely sure which one suits me best.

From what I have read, the 7 is good for aerobatics and can cruise faster than the 9, but that is generally because one can choose a 200HP engine for the 7. The 9 has a slightly longer wingspan but very little difference in cruise speed on a per horse power basis. The 9 can do limited aerobatics.

Other than those things, I'm not sure how else to compare the two models? Any real world help here?

Additionally, it seems clear that most builders are using MPH instead of knots, was curious why?

I like the idea of the sliding canopy and building in access in the panels directly.

Thanks for your tips. I've attending my first EAA meeting just a few weeks ago here in Tampa.

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom - Welcome!

There are a number of differences between the 7 and 9 but for many pilots, the decision point is "aerobatics" or "not aerobatics". That may be the easiest way to settle on one vs the other. IF you want to do any aerobatics, you would want to go with the RV-7.

The RV-9 handles smaller engines than the RV-7 and has slightly slower stalls speeds. Both make nice cross country platforms.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Tom, welcome aboard VAF:D

The 9 uses a different airfoil, and has longer wings too.

As was stated, not "aerobatic"-----but then some folks do such stuff with them.

The real way to figure out the answer is to define your mission at the outset, and then work toward it.

For what it is worth, I was talking to Ken at Vans a month or two ago, and he said for a cross country plane, his first choice is the 9.

Agree. I have a 9A. very stable in slow flight with that tall tail. great slow approaches and that roncz airfoil loves to float.
Im a low time pilot and prefer less inflight twitch and love the 180mph cruise.

Tom, welcome aboard VAF:D

The 9 uses a different airfoil, and has longer wings too.

As was stated, not "aerobatic"-----but then some folks do such stuff with them.

The real way to figure out the answer is to define your mission at the outset, and then work toward it.

For what it is worth, I was talking to Ken at Vans a month or two ago, and he said for a cross country plane, his first choice is the 9.

Welcome

Welcome to VAF, good to have you here. Lotsa help and advice here which ever model you choose.

bird

IFR cross country would be my primary mission, but a gentle roll every now and then would be ok as well.

Can the airplane be built with knots as the primary measurement? I know its experimental and you can probably do as you wish, I'm just curiuos as to why so many are in MPH, maybe there is good reason. Post 1976 production airplanes are all knots.

The 180mph cruise, is that with the 320 engine?

One thing that I will have to get used to is the "stick" I'm sure.

Not a big deal, just takes a few flights with an instructor when you do your transition training.

Knots are your choice, the airspeed indicator is sold in both configurations if you go steam gauge, or is selectable if you go with an EFIS.

yes, o-320, standard mags, carburetor...
stick is the way to go. much more intuitive and simple.
IFR cross country would be my primary mission, but a gentle roll every now and then would be ok as well.

Can the airplane be built with knots as the primary measurement? I know its experimental and you can probably do as you wish, I'm just curiuos as to why so many are in MPH, maybe there is good reason. Post 1976 production airplanes are all knots.

The 180mph cruise, is that with the 320 engine?

a little propwash

Welcome! I bought a -9a a few years ago, and like it, but my advice .....again is ......GET SOME BUTT TIME IN EACH TYPE!
you will not appreciate the differences until you at least ride in, if not fly, the different types.
Rub shoulders with someone on a long, humid x-country, and you may go hunting for an RV-8!
If you buy the gas, you might think it's quite alright to fly behind an 0-320 throttled back and leaned to cruise at only 140 kts ( 161 mph).
a few circuits, and you might find you really like the tip-up, over the slider canopy frame.
Go to the ATM, get some green, and offer to fuel up & co-pilot with one of the local RV guys, which seem to populate Florida like silver hair on a golf course.
My other advice is; if you are buying, find one that's pretty much equipped as you want, if you aren't going to have a hangar with a well-equipped shop attached.
I find that just to add simple things, like a 12V plug for my GPS, was a slow and painful process when you're miles from the field, and you have no power, light, workbench etc.

just my two-bits worth. good luck!

Welcome! I bought a -9a a few years ago, and like it, but my advice .....again is ......GET SOME BUTT TIME IN EACH TYPE!
you will not appreciate the differences until you at least ride in, if not fly, the different types.
Rub shoulders with someone on a long, humid x-country, and you may go hunting for an RV-8!
If you buy the gas, you might think it's quite alright to fly behind an 0-320 throttled back and leaned to cruise at only 140 kts ( 161 mph).
a few circuits, and you might find you really like the tip-up, over the slider canopy frame.
Go to the ATM, get some green, and offer to fuel up & co-pilot with one of the local RV guys, which seem to populate Florida like silver hair on a golf course.
My other advice is; if you are buying, find one that's pretty much equipped as you want, if you aren't going to have a hangar with a well-equipped shop attached.
I find that just to add simple things, like a 12V plug for my GPS, was a slow and painful process when you're miles from the field, and you have no power, light, workbench etc.

just my two-bits worth. good luck!

Yes, good advice. I'm going to have a look a guys RV6 next week, this will be the first time seeing a VANs aircraft close up.

I can tell you something else about starting your build that you haven't asked yet or even thought of.

The market is soft right now and there is no end in sight. Save yourself some money, time and work by purchasing someone's already started project in any form of completion!

We have LOTS of already started kits around here and I am sure you could find one that suits you. I can think of a couple right now. For instance, I think Ben Schneider's -7 project is still available. It is in Illinois and you could combine it with a trip to OSH this summer! Ben is a great guy and his work looks great!

I started my project in the "hey days" and pop up builders were everywhere. Things are different now. There is a glut of projects and money is tight.

You *might* (depending on your skill set) have to get your brain up to speed with a partially completed kit, but it will be worth it in the long run for many reasons.

My two...

See you around!!!

:) CJ

I can tell you something else about starting your build that you haven't asked yet or even thought of.

The market is soft right now and there is no end in sight. Save yourself some money, time and work by purchasing someone's already started project in any form of completion!

We have LOTS of already started kits around here and I am sure you could find one that suits you. I can think of a couple right now. For instance, I think Ben Schneider's -7 project is still available. It is in Illinois and you could combine it with a trip to OSH this summer! Ben is a great guy and his work looks great!

I started my project in the "hey days" and pop up builders were everywhere. Things are different now. There is a glut of projects and money is tight.

You *might* (depending on your skill set) have to get your brain up to speed with a partially completed kit, but it will be worth it in the long run for many reasons.

My two...

See you around!!!

:) CJ

I've thought about that. I would have to have someone more familiar with these builds with me though as I don't think I am in any position to evaluate the quality of someone elses work.

No problem.

Tom, there are plenty of guys around the Southeast that do pre-buys, including my friend, Ray Lawrence, near me.

...Matter of fact, he recently flew to San Diego with the new owner, did a pre-buy, approved it and they flew it home to here and then North Carolina, after I spent a day and a half giving him transition training in his airplane:)

Good luck,

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Can you tell me more about annual inspections or the experimental equivelant? I understand there are some differences if you build the airplane yourself vs. buying someone elses.

Tom

If you build the plane, you can apply for the repairman's certificate when you do the final inspection.

This will allow you to sign off the annual condition inspection.

If you do not get the repairman's cert, you can still do the work, but it must be signed off by an A/P. This would be the case if you bought a finished plane.

Hi Group.

I looked on the vans website but didn't see the answer jump out at me. Can someone tell me the manuevering speeds, Vne and Vno speeds for both the RV7 and the RV9?

Thanks.