Cajun98

Just wanted to say hello. I'm new to the site and have been doing research into building and RV. I fly a King Air B200 for a living but figure if I'm ever gonna have my own plane, I'm gonna have to build it. I'm leaning toward the RV-7, to be used for mostly cross country travel. The wife has given her blessing so hopefully sometime this year I'll get started. This site is a treasure trove of information and I look forward to learning from all you guys. As far as tools go, is it better to go through Vans, or pick them up on my own?
Brent

I would say most purchase their tools from other venders. Chose the vendor that has the correct kit for your needs and cost. Welcome aboard and I agree this site is the most valuable source there is for building an RV. I think most other brand of builders also reference this site due to the knowledge of it's members.
Ron

Welcome aboard.

Welcome. My opinions:
Any RV is a good choice if it meets your mission/s. The RV7 is a good choice if you have a regular passenger and do long x-country flights and like aerobatics. It is what I fly.

The RV9 is more stable which may be better for x-country and has basically the same interior as the -7. The guys at Van's like flying the -9 best for x-country. One common advantage of the -6,-7 and -9 side by sides is that two full size people can sit comfortably with the same space each. Personally, I fly the RV7, which meets my mission/s as a, "Do it all plane." Although, if I flew solo most of the time, I would fly a centerline -4 or -8 tailwheel.

Tools: Many will help you with tool selection at VAF. You may be able to gain many tools you need by asking with a WTB in the classified section of VAF.
Also, members here will tell where they got their tools which will help you with leads.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to addiction

Brent nice to have you here. You can not go wrong with any RV. Tools are a small cost fraction in total project buy from any vendor advertised here all of them are reputable. VAF contains almost everything RV builder needs to complete the kit and even more.

Looking forward to your building reports.

Thanks for the welcome. From everything I've been able to gleen from VAF, I really like what I've learned about the -7. I just need to find someone nearby who has a -7 so I can sit in it and check the fit. I'm a bit over 6'4" and my wife is 6'1". We have family scattered all over the country so comfort is gonna be a major consideration on those long trips. I get down to Tucson Ryan Field KRYN almost weekly with my job and I often see RV's down there so I'll have to do some looking around and see if I can meet some of the owners. I'm chomping at the bit to get started but the wife says I have to finish the restoration on my '78 Datsun 280Z first so I can get it out of our garage. Should be some good motivation.

I Think you're going the right way

RV-7 is a great choice. I think you have the ideal situation - as I had - and you will succeed in building a good airplane. I envy you at this stage in the builder's experience - you have many wonderful experiences ahead with your partner for life. I RECOMMEND THAT BEFORE YOU BUY ALL ALL OF YOUR TOOLS THAT YOU GO TO ONE OF THE COURSES ON ALUMINUM AIRCRAFT FABRICATION. IT WOULD BE GOOD IF THE COURSE SPECIFIED SOME PERSONAL TOOLS TO BRING TO THE CLASS I THINK - that could be a very important basic starter. The course will introduce you to the proper methods for doing the basic things that you have to do to produce a good, fast and safe airplane. You do not want to jump right in and start building an RV because this is a real airplane with quality design in every area, every bit as carefully designed with no corners cut, as your King Air. It requires a significant amount of skill and knowledge to build it right but if is right it is near perfection. If you do not prepare (it only takes 2 or 3 days) you will be learning as you go and some of the well know technology you may never learn (deburring holes, breaking sharp edges, developing shop tools for locating hidden edges, hidden holes, setting and using a rivet gun, lubrication of air tools, etc.). Once you have the basic hands-on experience from a metal working class and you are faced with a task you will know what kind of tools you need to deal with it or you will be able to figure it out.

Size should not be a problem am/was 6'2" (kind of stooped now) and Ken Scott has reported 6'4" pilots in the RV-6. I understand the RV-7 seat was designed to provide even more room.

Good Luck,

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob, thanks for the response. The idea of a workshop as you described sounds like an excellent idea. I was even toying with the idea of making a trip up to Van's factory possible in February while the King Air is down for phase inspection. Do they offer these type workshops at the factory? It would be a great excuse for a road trip. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have taught myself basic metal work and welding during my restoration of my old Datsun. Where would I find information on upcoming workshops?
Brent

Not at Van's anymore

I attended one of the last classes there and it was great! I think they are taught in Alabama or Georgia and should be locatable through EAA. I also believe they travel around the country giving the classes. I've seen the ads but I don't remember the details. I believe the company was called Alexander or something like that. I'm sure someone else will jump in here with where they took a class but I will also do a Google search and see what I find. First hand experience would be best though.

Bob Axsom

I found this

SportAir Workshop is what I was thinking about. Sheet Metal Basics is the course I would think is the best. As you can see the first class is full. The format at www.sportair.com is better to work with.

Updated Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - not in real time.

For up-to-date class openings, please call 1-800-967-5746, Monday - Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.

We maintain a Waiting List for Full courses. Call or email to be wait-listed into the next available seat.

Late Day & Weekend Registrations May Not Be Reflected In Course Status Information

Schedule Updated Daily, Watch For New Courses To Be Added

Begins
Ends
Course Description
Duration
Member Cost
Status

21-Jan-12
22-Jan-12
Repairman (LSA) Inspection-Airplane
2 Days
Frederick, MD
Info
$299
Full

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Composite Construction
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$269
Full

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Fundamentals of Aircraft Building
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$195
Open

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Electrical Systems & Avionics
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$289
Full

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Fabric Covering
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$269
4 seats left

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Gas Welding
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$289
Full

28-Jan-12
28-Jan-12
Test Flying Your Project
1 Day
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$25
Open

29-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Test Flying Your Project
1 Day
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$25
Open

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Repairman (LSA) Inspection-Airplane
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$299
Open

28-Jan-12
29-Jan-12
Sheet Metal Basics
2 Days
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$294
Full

28-Jan-12
28-Jan-12
What's Involved In Kit Building
Oshkosh, WI
Info
$25
Open

11-Feb-12
12-Feb-12
Composite Construction
2 Days
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$269
Open

11-Feb-12
12-Feb-12
2 Days
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$289
Open

11-Feb-12
12-Feb-12
Fabric Covering
2 Days
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$269
Open

11-Feb-12
12-Feb-12
2 Days
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$195
Open

11-Feb-12
12-Feb-12
Gas Welding
2 Days
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$289
Full

11-Feb-12
12-Feb-12
Sheet Metal Basics
2 Days
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$294
Open

11-Feb-12
11-Feb-12
Evening
Chesapeake, VA
Info
$25
Open

25-Feb-12
26-Feb-12
Composite Construction
2 Days
Orlando, FL
Info
$269
Open

25-Feb-12
26-Feb-12
2 Days
Orlando, FL
Info
$289
Open

25-Feb-12
26-Feb-12
Fabric Covering
2 Days
Orlando, FL
Info
$269
Open

25-Feb-12
26-Feb-12
Sheet Metal Basics
2 Days
Orlando, FL
Info
$294
Open

25-Feb-12
26-Feb-12
Evening
Orlando, FL
Info
$25
Open

3-Mar-12
4-Mar-12
Composite Construction
2 Days
Dallas, TX
Info
$269
Open

3-Mar-12
4-Mar-12
2 Days
Dallas, TX
Info
$289
Open

3-Mar-12
4-Mar-12
Fabric Covering
2 Days
Dallas, TX
Info
$269
Open

3-Mar-12
4-Mar-12
Sheet Metal Basics
2 Days
Dallas, TX
Info
$294
Open

3-Mar-12
3-Mar-12
Evening
Dallas, TX
Info
$25
Open

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
Composite Construction
2 Days
Detroit, MI
Info
$269
Open
New

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
2 Days
Detroit, MI
Info
$289
Open
New

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
Fabric Covering
2 Days
Detroit, MI
Info
$269
Open
New

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
2 Days
Detroit, MI
Info
$195
Open
New

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
Sheet Metal Basics
2 Days
Detroit, MI
Info
$294
Open
New

21-Apr-12
21-Apr-12
Evening
Detroit, MI
Info
$25
Open
New

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
Van's RV Assembly
2 Days
High River, AB,
Canada
e-mail Chapter
Open

21-Apr-12
22-Apr-12
2 Days
High River, AB,
Canada
e-mail Chapter
Open

5-May-12
6-May-12
Composite Construction
2 Days
High River, AB,
Canada
e-mail Chapter
Open

5-May-12
6-May-12
Fabric Covering
2 Days

Bob Axsom

Bob, thanks for the link. I will definitely look into attending one the classes. Should be a great learning experience.

Welcome Brent.

Hi Brent....you won't believe the numbers of pro pilots flying RV's...from F-4/F-16 drivers, Airbus, B 777 and ag pilots...all have RV's. It's the airplane of choice for most pro pilots.

Fast, aerobatic, nimble handling with incredibly good visibility..outstanding short field capability...the reason there are around 7,500 flying and thousands more in the oven.

Best,

Welcome Aboard Brent

You won't be sorry you chose the RV series. A -7 is a good choice, especially if your wife is an avid flyer. My wife decided we needed a side-by-side airplane because she didn't want to sit behind me. Another VAF member's wife went the opposite direction with an -8 after flying them both. Morale of the story is get your wife onboard soon in the selection process.

Hello

Welcome aboard! You are gonna love building and flying any of the rv's. Wife and I decided on a 8, the rear seat seems a bit roomier, its stritcly a personal thing though. Fly in them, then buy the one both of you decide on.

bird

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I just got back from Tucson (KRYN) this morning and they were having their local EAA meeting. There was an absolutely beautiful RV-7 parked on the ramp when I pulled up. Forgot to get the N number but it was a bright orange/yellow color and he had a calendar in the back with a picture of the plane on floats. Now that would be some fun. I didn't get to stay long enough to meet the owner but it definitely gets you amped up to see such a nice example of the -7. Definitely gonna look into attending one of the workshops on basic metal work.