gib

Hi All- I am a new guy to flying but not new to building. Let my explain, I have been working on and making parts for aircraft for 30 years. I am an A and P and have worked at places like Boeing and an Airline. I actually looked at building an RV many years ago, but with a family to raise and a job to do it just wasn't the right time to build. Well that time has come, its time for me to build my RV. I think I am going with the -7 as I sit here today. I will make a trip up to Vans this spring to look at the factory and make my purchase. As of yet I do not have a pilots license. My question to the forum is can I or should I use my RV to get my ticket. Is this a good idea or a bad one? Thanks in advance.

If you've never flown before my personal opinion would be to go to a flight school and use their aircraft. I know when I first started lessons, there were some "interesting" landings that I made... and those Cessnas and Pipers are made to take the abuse of not so perfect landings. If I had spent all that time, energy, and money into building an RV, I would not want to take the chance of damaging it during the learning process!

Maybe I should rephrase that, its not like I have never flown before, I just do not have my license. I have about 60 hours of flying over the years I just never got my privet ticket. Your point is very valid.

Last edited:
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to VAF.

This was just discussed recently, there is a lot of info there, try using the search function here.

You need to get hold of the RV guys there in Reno, get some stick time, and see if you feel you could handle trainin in one.

Good Luck, enjoy:D