sstspin

All -
I'm a USAF pilot in a non-flying job for a couple years and in the hunt for a good RV-4. I've got 3000+ hrs - mostly in jets, but I'm also a proud owner of a newly restored J-3 w/ some time in that and a smattering of other GA-types. I see the RV-4 as fitting my needs almost perfectly - performance, cost & rdo/xpdr for the local ADIZ/FRZ (Wash DC area).
I'm in contact w/ several folks w/ RV-4s on the sale block, but I'm fairly certain I'm not asking all the important questions.
I've studied the RV-4 for nearly ten years, but haven't flown one and have only a bit of hangar-flying w/ guys who own(ed) one. I have a quasi buyers checklist I've built on my own, but figure it could be made more robust. I prefer LH throttle quadrant, w/ elec flaps & trim. A couple 4's I'm considering are manual trim or panel mounted engine/prop controls. I'm an A&P so I'm interested in the complexity of converting those to my desired configuration. Anyway - if anyone can give me a vector in my effort I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks -
"Trash" Thomas

I dont know much about the -4, other than I think it is the best looking RV, by far.

But, what I really want to do is welcome you aboard.

Mike

Trash,
Coverting from panel mounted to left hand quadrant shouldn't be too dificult, you can buy a pre-made quadrant just about anywhere, installation is pretty strait forward. The electric flaps are a little tricky, vans sells a kit that supplies everything you need. I suggest getting the one with the replacement weldment, PN: RV-4 EF-C. As for the servo in the back for the trim, this one had me stumped for a while and I ended up making my own version and it worked out great. The plans for it are a little confusing, but really it's just a little motor pushing a tab back and forth. Don't over think it. =)
Things to look for? Cracked firewalls are popular, as well as leaking fuel tanks. They're all so individual it's hard to say what else to specificly to look for, other than the normal pre-buy checklist.

(edit) You might also check out a current thread on the same topic...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15204

Last edited:
Joe -
Greatly appreciate the reply. I'd heard about the gear attach points and firewalls, but the tanks are new to me - so thanks. Pitch trim sounds reasonable - I may reattack w/ you (if you don't mind) if I get a manual trim airplane and decide to install electric.
Again - much appreciated.
Cheers -
Trash

Mike -
Tried to respond a couple times, but not sure it made it to you...
Thanks very much for the warm welcome - look forward to learning more about this prolific design and the the folks who seem to like it so much!
Cheers -
Trash

sstspin said:
Mike -
Tried to respond a couple times, but not sure it made it to you...
Thanks very much for the warm welcome - look forward to learning more about this prolific design and the the folks who seem to like it so much!
Cheers -
Trash

Mr. Trash----------if your statement above is referring to the PM---private message---feature, no I did not get anything.

Some of the features of this forum take a bit of practice to get used to.

Hang in there, it all will be worth it. The amount of information, both in scope and depth, that is available here will totally amaze you. Ditto the capabilities of the forum site itself.

Mike

PS, as an AF jet pilot, you might want to consider a Rocket instead of a 4.