SgtZim

Well Known Member
I'm planning how to run wires and hoses through the wing, and seeing the "recommended" method and seemingly universally used of cutting holes in all of the ribs to run a conduit to the wingtip. I see lots of really big holes already in the ribs and wondering why we don't have (or maybe there is) a neat way to clamp that conduit to the edge of the lightening holes - leaving my ribs very slightly stronger???

Comments? Appreciated!

That IS done and it is not uncommon. Just be sure that if you use the same holes that pushrods run through, you manipulate the controls to all possible configurations, making sure to provide plenty of clearance.

I used fluorescent lamp sleeve tubes run trough the lightening holes in the ribs. Very thin wall polycarbonate, lots of room for wire and they weigh almost nothing. They're secured with tabs and zip ties, with a dab of RTV on each tab just for good measure.

DSCF0365-400x300.jpg

Simplicity is why I went Van's corrugated tubing. Drill a 3/4 inch hole, thread the tubing through and done -- no fasteners required and t he install is quick and easy.

Simplicity is why I went Van's corrugated tubing. Drill a 3/4 inch hole, thread the tubing through and done -- no fasteners required and t he install is quick and easy.

Same for me. Easy peasy, very little weight, and follow's the Mother Ship's recommendations.

The web really isn't doing much in terms of strength. That's why you can cut a 5" hole in it and not impact wing strength. So another 3/4" hole makes no difference. It is basically there to hold the 2 rib flanges apart. Think of a built up wood rib - there is nothing in the middle for 95% of it - just a few sticks. If you want to do it your way then great - your airplane. But if you run a conduit don't worry about strength. It is not an issue.