gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Hi, everybody; I am a brand new member on the forum who comes seeking knowledge:) I am a 400 hour pilot with many hours in a Cherokee 180, and most recently 3 years worth of flying a Grumman Tiger. With my partnership in the Tiger coming to an end due to my partner moving, I am in the market for a new airplane and am seriously considering an A model RV, probably a 6A due to financial considerations. I have no intention of building (I am not patient enough); I am strictly looking to buy my way into this family lol.

I have a couple of initial questions. First, I am a tall guy (just under 6'4"); I know the 6 has a little less headroom than the 7; will I fit okay in the 6? Second, my reading on this forum leads me to believe that the Tiger is a pretty good lead-in to a nosewheel RV; I'd very much appreciate any insights on this subject from people who've flown both; differences and similarities. I know one thing, and that is that steering with the brakes and keeping the weight off the nosewheel on pain of death is already second nature to me (anyone who has experienced the Grumman "shopping cart wheel" experience on landing roll-out will know what I'm talking about).

Looking forward to being a part of this forum!

I have been in an RV once and it was a 7. I'm 6'4" and it was cozy in the 7 both in terms of my legs fitting under the panel and also headroom. If the 6 is any smaller, I would guess that you would be pretty cramped bordering on uncomfortable. If your shoulders are particularly broad, that might lead to a tight squeeze with two people in there also width wise.

Sounds like we have very similar flying careers, I started with a Cherokee 140 and then a Cheetah.
I am now flying a 8A (also purchased). The RV and Grumman are similar during taxi and moving with a tow bar other than that not much.
In the air they are completely different. Everything you have heard is true, the power, the climb, and the speed is incredible.
When you pull the power the RV, it drops like a rock, compared to the Cherokee.
I'm 6 ft. and have plenty of room in the 8, I'm not sure about the 6.
Good luck with your search.
Tim

If you buy a plane not already set up for a tall pilot, plan to spend some time and a few dollars to move the rudder pedals forward and replace the seat cushions with thinner foam. Those two mods will make it a good fit. Also, pick a plane that doesn't have a significantly oversized panel.

Thanks for the welcome and the information; both are appreciated. Tim; our flying experience may be even more similar than you think; my first 100 hours was in a Cherokee 140 before I upgraded to the 180 and eventually the Tiger.

Regarding my ability to fit in an 8, I can check on that easily, as a good friend of mine here in Moose Jaw has a gorgeous 8 (Brett "Laser" Glaeser, who is a member here). Another local military pilot (Steve Hurlbut) just sold his stunning 7, and although I could have sat in it, I don't think it would have helped much as it was set up for a much shorter guy. Width wise, I'm not too concerned; I am much longer than I am wide lol, and the cabin width of the 6 is very comparable to other aircraft I have flown. I also have some time in a C150, which certainly redefines the term "cozy" in terms of width:)

Again, thanks for the insights. I really should try to find a 6 to park my butt in to see how I fit.