AX-O

Well Known Member
New guy asking simple questions

A soon as I graduate from Test Pilot School (month or so), I am planning on building an RV-8. I have a good mechanical/tools background, however have never built an aircraft. I would like some training on how to use aircraft tools and how to work with the materials (i.e. aluminum). Is it worth the money to ship my tail kit to a facility and build my kit there? Or will I learn just as much by buying a few tapes/DVDs on the Internet. In addition, can you recommend such facilities? I will be moving to southern Cali after school.

Thank you for any info!
Another RV builder wannabe

Last edited:
There are a LOT of experienced builders in Socal. I guess the usual recommendation is to attend one of EAA's workshops that they hold (usually at Corona right?) and to buy one of the practice projects from Van's.

Hit the airports

If you are mechanically inclined, I don't see that you need to pay money for tapes/DVDs/or builder assistance. It really depends on you. I am just now getting going but I spent a full year reading and asking dumb questions. I went to LOE, Sun-N-Fun, and Osh, all in the same year, and spent a lot of time looking, taking the FREE sheet metal working seminars, and asking builders a lot of questions. I did get the practice kit from Vans. It may take me longer to finish, but that is OK.

I started going to the Houston builder's group monthly meetings and again asked a lot of dumb questions. You'll be surprised at how patient the experienced builders are with newbies and how willing they are to help out. I really think this is a major cause of extended build times, the good guys spend half of their time building and the other half servicing us hangar rats. :) But they seem to enjoy doing so none-the-less. The RV community really is a great bunch of people.

So-Cal is a hot bed for RV activities. You should easily be able to find an RV group to work with and an EAA chapter to start hanging out at.

On the other hand, if you want to get off to a fast start and finish that empenage quickly and don't mind paying $1,000 plus for the hand-holding, there are many centers who can help. It is just a matter of how much confidence you have in your abilities and how much you are willing to spend. Me, I am the hard-headed type so I will probably spend $2,000 in screw-ups and take a year to build my tail when I could have spent $1,500 and had it done in a week. But hey, that is just the way I do things.

Good luck!

I recommend taking a SportAir workshop. You'll build a practice project there and learn to use most of the tools you'll need. After mine, I was ready to build my empennage.

Good luck,
Martin

New Builder

I suggest finding a local EAA chapter when you get to SoCal (or even where you are now - if you have time). Visit someone currently building, and see for yourself what is involved. I suspect you won't find it very tough.

My son and I are both building for the first time. He started first and did get some Ordorff tapes. An hour with an EAA tech counselor, or a current builder would do the same thing (for us anyway). The only 'new' thing you haven't done is probably riveting - and a couple dozen practice rivets will solve that. I did my learning by helping him a few times (he's in ABQ and I'm in DET, so it hasn't been very frequent). If you aren't comfortable, you can always go to a class or get the tapes. Other than riveting, you'll be drilling, pounding (dimpling), deburring, and some painting (priming).

The real 'tricks' you need to learn are the gotcha's that we all suffer through while building any kit. Web sites like Dan Checkoway's and Sam Buchanan's, and hundresd of others (see the Links list on the Van's website) will get you through most of those - and lists like this one and the Matronic's lists (RV and AeroElectric recommended).

Money, time, and a place to build are the real challenges :cool:

Dennis Glaeser
7A Wings done! - fuselage coming...

Where in SoCal?

AX-O,

Whereabouts in SoCal will you be based when you get out here? I'm in Chino (KCNO) and can help you get started.

FYI, starting in 2006 I'll be teaching the SportAir "RV Assembly" workshop out of Corona. It's funny how things come full circle -- I attended the workshop back when Tom Emery taught it, and I gotta say it was the single most useful experience leading up to building the airplane. Being able to get some hands-on with somebody like Tom around was invaluable. I'm really glad I didn't just dive right into my project, because I had never been exposed to many of the practices before. I made my share of mistakes building my plane, but I would have been way worse off had I not been exposed to the basics in a structured environment. The workshop was well worth the price of admission.

If you can't attend one of the workshops, try to find experienced builders who will let you borrow their tools and/or shop to get some hands-on.

BTW -- do you know Pete "Pedro" Waters? He's a TPS instructor, recently transferred out there to Pax River from SoCal. He flies an RV-4. Tell him everybody in SoCal says hello!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (680 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

alternative

I would suggest you stop by my place in a few weeks, as the fuselage will arrive shortly. I can offer loads of experience, cheap room and board and endless mediocre conversation.

james kleen
savannah

AX-O,
If you are truely "mechanical", then you won't have any problems building one of these kits. However, you still need to practice on some scraps (provided in the empennage), before squeezing or pounding rivets on a real part. If you have the money, and want to wait, then the builder's shops can only help. Everyone that I know who has gone to one of the shops has said it was a good experience. Not having gone myself, I can attest that you can build half-an-airplane without any help.

Cheers,
Tracy (half-to-go).

All,
Thanks for the advice. As soon as I get to SoCal I will find an EAA chapter. I think the closest one to Ridgecrest will be at Edwards Air Force base (about 1 hr 15 min away). I did help one of my friends with his RV but it was small stuff. Like the Throttle quadrant and a few other panels. Seem simple enough. I am sure it is a bit more complicated than that. I am going to save my pennies and go to a work shop. I think it will give me the confidence that I need and will get the other half involve somewhat :rolleyes: . Osh and all those other air show are on the to do list as well. Just have not been able to have a life this year due to school.

Dan,
I do know Pedro, he is one of my instructors here at TPS. He just checked in. I think I sent you and email a few months back regarding the Super -8 (540 engine). Was that you ?

grover,
Are you located in savannah Georgia?

Another New guy

AX-O , You will be in good hands in So Cal. I'm her in N Arizona and there are quite a few experienced RV'rs around- Just came by a second hand RV-6A QB. I'm from the Tailwind group- although not totaly since my Tailwind had Alum wings. This thing has taken on an obsession! :p ....great stuff!
Brad
Conopy 666-rework (try and try again!)

Super 8 email

AX-O said:
I think I sent you and email a few months back regarding the Super -8 (540 engine). Was that you ?

Could be, although I don't know your name or email address (AX-O?). Mike "Kahuna" Stewart has the only Super 8 that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are more, but Mike comes to mind.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com