apatti

Well Known Member
Has anyone designed in dual GRT EFIS's into an 8 panel with the new screens? Will they fit one on top of the other? My rough sketch shows them fitting, but barely. I am a little worried about the panel strength after making a cutout that runs almost all the way from top to bottom.

Thanks,

Tony,

I haven't DONE it, but I have noodled around with the idea - I think you can do it with suffificent aluminim angles on either side of the hole. I figure I'd have to lose my annunciator panel....:(

Paul

Paul,

I was thinking the same thing. I liked your annunciator panel and wanted to include it (or something similar) in my panel. However, there is no way to put anything else on top or on the bottom with two of the new screens.

I was also thinking about adding some angle along the sides. But, that is not the dimension I was most worried about flexing. It is the side-to-side. There is the bottom lip that helps. Along the top, there won't be any room for an angle since you have to leave 1" clearance for mounting the panel to the instrument panel flange.

Right now I have the bottom cutout about .25" from the bottom. The bottom is measured to the inside radius of the lip. That leaves me about 1/16 at the top below the 1" clearance needed for the instrument panel attach flange. I could bump the whole thing up a little and just take out a little of the instrument panel attach flange. I am thinking I could move the lower end of the cutout up and get as much as .5" from the bottom without having to take out much of the flange.

I agree it will be tight Tony - you've probably got a better handle on it than the rest of us. You CAN carve away a bit of the attach flange, but I have no idea how much. Hey, a new panel blank is pretty cheap, so it might be worth a try!

I figured that if I had to get rid of the annunciator, I can make a light matrix to put in another blank area of the panel using the square LED indicator lights I used on Louise's -6 - they are working out really great!

Paul

Hi Tony,
I had the dual horizon 1st run screens in my RV10. I liked them (and the company) so much that I decided to put the same equipment in my F1 Rocket. I knew it would be 'close' to mount them over/under in the small Rocket panel....turns out it wasn't going to happen by about 1/2 inch. I didn't want to cut into the mounting flange and didn't want an extended panel. One observation made on the bench was that the hi-res screens only have about a 1/64" (at best) flange for the cutout on the top and the bottom. That means there is very little room for error when you cut the panel for the units. Plenty on the sides but very little on the top/bottom. OK if you are using some hi tech cutting equipment but if you are drilling corner holes and using a cut off wheel and file you need to take your time. That said....I was told by GRT that they purposely made the clearances that close so that the dual screen system WOULD FIT in a standard RV8 panel....one on top of the other. Let us know how you make out.

Also, don't hesitate ordering the 'old' screen system as these are great units. GRT will also tell you that the hi-res screens aren't viewed from the side as well as the 'old' units. Still OK but the other ones are a little crisper. That said....if I were to build another RV10 (or other side by side) I would NOT go with the hi-res screens unless I put one on the right side for my passenger to view.....IOW....if just using 2 screens in front of the pilot you might expect comments from your passenger such as 'I can't see the screen very good'. Folks that have the hi-res in a side by side might jump in here and let us know how they are working for you.

I ended up putting my hi-res screens side by side in the Rocket and still had lots of room for a 430, 327, 340, EIS display, trutrac AP, and plenty of backup intruments. Don't rule out side by side on your 8. I thought that I wouldn't be happy with the side by side but after seeing my panel in 'real life' I like it a lot. YMMV.

Hope this helps??? Good Luck!!

Last edited: