New GPS

If only it had an output to drive a TruTrak ADI heading indicator or an autopilot! The features look great and the price is even better but right now, it lacks a few things. Worth keeping an eye on for future developments, which will more than likely cause the price to go up.

I really like the looks of this unit. It's like an offline version of skyvector. I'll be keeping my eyes on the site and see how things go for early adopters.

Tony,

I contacted the vendor and asked about a brighter screen option because I have tried several laptops in my RV (linked to the wing camera) which have essentially the same brightness. My experience is that on a sunny day, I cannot see much of anything on my laptops (400 nits brightness), even with some shading. For comparison the Dynons with bright screen option are 800 nits and are fine for visibility. I certainly like the idea and the price, but am concerned about the visibility at 350 nits. At this point, there are no plans for a bright screen option.

I would be interested in a report back on the visibility if anyone tries one of these. Perhaps a smaller screen (than my laptop) will make a difference and it will be more visible than I expect.

cheers,
greg

Adventure pilot 700i impressions

I was interested when I read the web page and his offer of happiness guaranteed. I went to meet Walter Boyd in person and fondle his new toy. After a few minutes of demo I was sold! This is got to be one of the neatest toys one could have in the cockpit. I played with it in my easy chair last night for a few hours and then took it up today for a real world conditions work out.
i only wish Garmin or lowrance had a product this nice...the ability to see your aircraft along with your flight plan layered over a sectional is amazing!
The only possible complaint might be the requirement to use a sunshade or other device on a very sunny day. today it was somewhat overcast. The unit was totally readable even with the brightness @ 60%, but a bright day might be a different story - oh well, I'll just reinstall the Koger shade!

So now an obvious question is how this will compare to the iPad. Sounds like the price is about the same and if SkyCharts works on the iPad (see another thread posted today) and the GPS works on the iPad, and the iPad is bright enough, maybe that's the way to go...

greg

I like the look of it (though there are no really good pics on the page!). Does anyone know if it has seamless sectional coverage? That is, does it attach the edges of say NY and Washington? Also, does it alllow use of TAC's?

I like the idea of a flightplan over a sectional, and the ability to rubberband your plan!!

the sectional charts are pretty much seamless...
small gaps, but all sectionals overlap
I would accept the offer of a 30 day trial - but i'll bet that you won't be sending it back!

I'll wait until they have airways and geo-referenced charts. I keep postponing a choice 'cause I KNOW someone will come up with a full EFB that does the trick soon...