So I guess my question is for those who have the GDL 39R installed, will the "3D" function work as is with the ver. 6.0 Garmin Pilot app, or is this a firmware update or software update to the 39R? The Garmin site lists the GDL 39, 39R, and 39 3D as all one part number, which would imply that they are all one in the same? I'm confused. :confused:

Looks to be separate unit

Garmin has lowered the price of the the GDL 39 to $590. Price of the
GDL 39 3D is $849. Unfortunately it looks like you need the newer hardware if you want the 3D function. They wouldn't lower the price on the older version if you could get the new function with a software update. I'm not happy. Hope I'm wrong but it sure looks that way to me.

Looks like Garmin is "keeping up with the Jones". Stratus came out with their second generation ADSB receiver and added the necessary AHRS-like hardware for attitude data. Garmin has now done the same thing.

Unlike the previous decades of avionics, it looks like we are in for rapid technology updates.

Garmin has lowered the price of the the GDL 39 to $590. Price of the
GDL 39 3D is $849. Unfortunately it looks like you need the newer hardware if you want the 3D function. They wouldn't lower the price on the older version if you could get the new function with a software update. I'm not happy. Hope I'm wrong but it sure looks that way to me.

That's how it looks to me as well.