Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Any one know details of the new Garmin 495?
Specifically, does it have TIS?

You can add the road data to it, but it doesn't come with the XM-capable antenna. They might be looking to discontinue the 296/396. Not sure. The 5Hz GPS is nice over the 396, but I'm not sure I'd want it without XM capability.

Although...all it really needs to do is listen to an ADS-B transceiver, right? :)

I'm betting there are a lot of 496 units flying that don't have a subscription to XM...

--Bill

I think that would be a safe bet Bill. Specifically none of the 496 customers outside of the US will have a subscription. And that's because full XM weather coverage is confined to North America....you can't even get it in Hawaii. Garmin's overseas customers have been paying for a feature they cannot access.

I think that would be a safe bet Bill. Specifically none of the 496 customers outside of the US will have a subscription. And that's because full XM weather coverage is confined to North America....you can't even get it in Hawaii. Garmin's overseas customers have been paying for a feature they cannot access.

Not quite. Since the 496's release, Garmin has been selling the 496 Atlantic version which does not have XM. Aircraft Spruce sells it for $1795, while the regular 496 sells for $2395.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the Atlantic 496 and the 495, other than the automobile mode.

I'm betting there are a lot of 496 units flying that don't have a subscription to XM...

--Bill

For sure, but if you ever need it all it takes is a phone call from anywhere and in an hour your have inflight weather. Pretty nice feature to have at your disposal if you need it. If you don't then you don't have to pay for it.

What is the MSRP of the 495 -v- 496.

Last edited:
For sure, but if you ever need it all it takes is a phone call from anywhere and in an hour your have inflight weather. Pretty nice feature to have at your disposal if you need it. If you don't then you don't have to pay for it.

What is the MSRP of the 495 -v- 496.

I think I saw $1595 on Aero Net News this morning. $1495 if you buy it at Sun 'n Fun.