Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I was browsing an aviation mag last night and found a conversation with our very own Larry Pardue--N5LP. Anyone else found it? Where? :)

You had me worried!

I'm afraid I had inside information that makes the answer to your question too easy. But, when I read the title, I feared that we needed to alert the VAF cavalry to intervene and find him! You know, people sometimes just disappear in the Chihuahuan Desert....especially if they go snooping around the wrong places. :eek:

http://n5lp.net/Saltflatmystery.html

Hey, Larry, isn't about time for an update on "progress" at the Salt Flat airstrip?

Last edited:
I'm afraid I had inside information that makes the answer to you question too easy. But, when I read the title, I feared that we needed to alert the VAF cavalry to intervene and find him! You know, people sometimes just disappear in the Chihuahuan Desert....especially if they go snooping around the wrong places. :eek:

I was afraid it was going to be one of those "Where's Waldo" things where you have to look at a photograph through a magnifying glass...

Where's Larry?

A single guy in an out-of-the way city with an RV in his hangar? He could be just about ANYWHERE in a very short time - like showing up 423 nm away for lunch with friends....:D

But he's probably sitting in Carlsbad waiting to snare another aviation journalist who wanders in....:rolleyes:

Along these lines

How is Mannan J.Thomason doing. His "working the bucket list" tag and no observed posts for a while causes concern.

Bob Axsom

I think Mannan is fine. I saw him at a flyin in Gainesville Ga. a few weeks ago. Mannan, you out there?

Mannan

How is Mannan J.Thomason doing. His "working the bucket list" tag and no observed posts for a while causes concern.

Bob Axsom

Hi Bob:

I'm still vertical and taking nourishment!!!!!!!!! Went to the last Shuttle Launch as a guest of NASA---AWSOME! We were just over 3 miles away!

Planning on LOE along with the Albuquerque Ballon Fiesta. Hope to see you there!:D

...You know, people sometimes just disappear in the Chihuahuan Desert....especially if they go snooping around the wrong places. :eek:

Hey, Larry, isn't about time for an update on "progress" at the Salt Flat airstrip?
I went over for an update this last weekend. There now seems to be a completed air traffic control tower out here in the absolute middle of nowhere.

You know, you Texans and other easterners going to LOE, this strip is pretty much on your way. It was suggested by someone on these forums, not me, that this would be an excellent place to set down in case of engine roughness. I am quite sure they have tools.

If you do make a precautionary landing please forward your photos to me. I am especially interested in what the flagpole sign says! Friday would probably be best as they seem to keep banker's hours.

Last edited:
I am surprised that you guys have not found out what this place is yet. Surely we might know someone in the space program that can re-task Hubble for an Earth portrait! :rolleyes: