vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Just started on my fuselage. It is the new style (released at OSH last year.) On the firewall, all four of the white powder coated pieces have a 1/4" hole in them that is also punched in the firewall. This hole does not exist on the pieces sandwiched between the firewall and powder coated pieces.

The instructions call out hole size by hole size to final drill, but never instructs me to drill these holes all the way through. I'm assuming that somewhere down the line, my engine mount will need some kind of hole here.

So do I drill it now or later?

Thanks!
Bart

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't wait. Keep your options open. If you need a hole there judt drill them a bit undersized.

That being said, I could have drilled mine and would have had no problems.

When to drill

Hi Bart

I asked the same question several months ago. The answer is that they are for the motor mounts. Since the mounts are welded up, they vary slightly from each other. Drill when you receive the motor mount, not before. Otherwise, it might not exactly fit.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 (Prepunch) Fuselage
San Ramon, CA

Bart,

I received the fuselage kit in March and drilled (reamed) those holes up to .189 to accept AN3 bolts. I did that so I could mount the fuselage on a rotator. It makes working on the assembly much easier. Since the holes will eventually be reamed to accept AN6 bolts, I am not too worried about any minor misalignment issues that may or may not occur. Scroll to bottom of page on this recent thread entry to see a closeup of the rotator.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1741&page=2

What's the length?

Rick,
Neat idea with the engine stand. I was thinking of doing something like that as well, but was concerned about those holes not being in the right place for some reason when the instructions didn't mention them. Assuming the holes were slightly misaligned, how will you ensure alignment when boring them out to AN6?

Also, I'm trying to plan garage space required when I get to the longeron stage. Do you know what the required comfortable working length is from engine stand to rear of your plane? I work with the garage door open, so mostly I want to be sure it will fit with the door closed and provide space to walk around it.

Thanks,

Last edited:
vmirv8bldr said:
Rick,
Neat idea with the engine stand. I was thinking of doing something like that as well, but was concerned about those holes not being in the right place for some reason when the instructions didn't mention them. Assuming the holes were slightly misaligned, how will you ensure alignment when boring them out to AN6?

Also, I'm trying to plan garage space required when I get to the longeron stage. Do you know what the required comfortable working length is from engine stand to rear of your plane? I work with the garage door open, so mostly I want to be sure it will fit with the door closed and provide space to walk around it.

Thanks,
Bart,

Just did some measuring. The forward most part of the rotator protrudes 9" from the SS firewall. Without the tail group installed the overall length of the a/c with the rotator bolted in place is 16'.

The -8 is 14" longer than my 6A and in the small "2 car" garage I have you can sure tell the difference. I will have to remove the rotator when the time comes to fit the empennage because as it is now, I barely have enough room to walk around the backside of the a/c with the garage door closed.

I know nothing about welding so it took about 2 hours to cut, fit and bolt Home Depot angle iron onto the J.C. Whitney engine stand.

As to insuring alignment if need be, read my tip about how to pull holes.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11769