dwranda

Well Known Member
Of course I couldn't have the same luck as with the first tank. As you can see there is a leak at the corner coming out from the rear baffle. Any suggestions on the easiest fix? It is on the outboard end so no access holes.
20us7dt.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow, I was so disgusted at my leak I didn't even think about the filler hole. I immediately thought rivets were going to have to come out. Would you recommend just putting some proseal on a long stick and smothering the corner and general area with it? Thanks a lot!!!!!

I have done one leak repair in the outboard bottom corner by working through the filler hole using a semkit cartridge with an clear vinyl hose clamped to the nozzle as an extension. You can tape the hose to a dowel and use that to apply sealant along the seams near the corner.
Then use a tong depressor (or something of similar radius) taped to a long stick to work the sealant into a radiused fillet (you may have to adjust it a couple times as you do the different seams).

And if that doesn't work, access any bay, any time, with a fly cutter. It's easier and faster than you may think.

Last edited:
The plates with holes drilled and appropriate rivets are available from Vans.

Been there, done that trying to fix quick built tanks.

Last edited:
I have had success on another type of aircraft using a vacuum and sucking Proseal into the leak.

Attach a shop type vacuum cleaner hose to the fuel filler. Pull a vacuum on the tank and clean the area with acetone letting the acetone suck into the tank. Then thin Proseal and paint it on the outside. If you are successful it will be sucked into the joint. It is obvious if it is working.

Same leak test failure here on one of my tanks. Mixed up a little proseal, got a long stick, and made what seemed like an awful looking, but perfectly functional, fillet seal in the corner through the fuel filler.

I will second, or is that third, Dan's comment. After several years worth of battles with leaks I just could not stop, I cringed at the idea of cutting big holes in the rear baffle. I finally bit the bullet and did the big cut in all five bays. It was the best decision I could have made. I only wish I had done it sooner. It sounds scary and even a bit rediculous to cut a great big hole to fix a tiny leak but it really turned out to be the best choice for me. It really was an easy fix. So easy I did it twice in two months on the same tank (a long story). Vans has a kit just for this. Call them and order it. You wont regret doing so.

Thanks everyone! I just have to say WOW those big holes cut into the baffles look crazy, but I can see how they would be handy. This morning I cut an extra long stir stick narrow enough to fit through the filler hole and smothered the corner about 2" down each seam with proseal. I also removed the 2 outer rivets and pushed as much proseal as I could in there and then replaced the rivets. Now we wait.....................

I will second, or is that third, Dan's comment. After several years worth of battles with leaks I just could not stop, I cringed at the idea of cutting big holes in the rear baffle. I finally bit the bullet and did the big cut in all five bays. It was the best decision I could have made. I only wish I had done it sooner. It sounds scary and even a bit rediculous to cut a great big hole to fix a tiny leak but it really turned out to be the best choice for me. It really was an easy fix. So easy I did it twice in two months on the same tank (a long story). Vans has a kit just for this. Call them and order it. You wont regret doing so.

And I will forth??? it.

For most builders, this is probably the best option. I mentioned the alternate method since the leak is in an easy to access corner.

And I will forth??? it.

For most builders, this is probably the best option. I mentioned the alternate method since the leak is in an easy to access corner.

and I will fifth... :)

A fellow VAF member sent me wheels' covers every early finish kit had them. Good use plus extra couple ounces of gas stored :D

2nd pressure test successful!!! The balloon stayed inflated perfectly for 24 hours. NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo, now I can move on with my life. Thanks everyone for the input!