1rv6flyer

Here are some pictures of the nickel metal leading edge that Craig Catto is now installing on his props.
Catto%20Prop

A bit of history...I have 917 hours on my old Catto prop and it is still in great flying condition. I have 70 hours on my new Catto prop, it's design is different and it runs smoother than my old one.
This past weekend the nickel metal leading edge was installed on my new prop and I have since flown it for an hour.

In that short flight the prop runs smooth as before and I have not noticed any performance degradation as others have noted with the prop guard tape. There is some glare off the back side of the metal leading edge
with the sun at my back. I don't find that to be a huge issue, it's just a different look that will become normal rather quickly. I am happy with the looks and performance and am certain the toughness of the nickel will
give serious protection to the prop.

Last edited:
Larry the picture link is broken could you please repost it? I have Catto prop and would like to see that metal leading edge.

Do you know if that leading edge can be added to existing props. I checked his website and the "Leading Edge" link is not working.

Yes it can be added to an existing prop, this leading edge was added to my 5 month old prop. If you have an older Catto prop you will need to talk to Craig, I do know he is working on installing the leading edge on an older 3 blade prop.

There is some glare off the back side of the metal leading edge
with the sun at my back. I don't find that to be a huge issue, it's just a different look that will become normal rather quickly.

Don't worry about the glare. I have had nickle leading edges on my Warp Drive prop for several years. If you don't polish them but rather just wipe the dead bugs off with a damp cloth you'll find the nickle will eventually turn a nice pewter colour and will no longer glare back at you in bright sun.

That's my excuse for not putting a lot of blood, sweat and tears into polishing my prop leading edges, and I'm stickin' to it! ;):D

Bummer

Wish I had known about that option when I ordered my new prop that I got from him two months ago. Would have saved me shipping cost from KY to CA and back. Let us know how it works out for you long term. Is the purpose to be able to fly in rain without damaging the prop?

Wish I had known about that option when I ordered my new prop that I got from him two months ago. Would have saved me shipping cost from KY to CA and back. Let us know how it works out for you long term. Is the purpose to be able to fly in rain without damaging the prop?

2 months ago this option was not available. He has been installing this option for a while on his Super Cub props and is just starting to install on the RV props. Yes, this will allow you to fly in the rain without the 2200 rpm restriction and it will certainly help prevent the nicks from gravel, etc.

Craig has just completed "retrofitting" the new nickel leading edges to my 2003 vintage 3-blade prop. He did have to modify the blade shape slightly. I should be getting it back next week. We'll see how it works.

A bit of "beta testing" in the works.

Craig has just completed "retrofitting" the new nickel leading edges to my 2003 vintage 3-blade prop. He did have to modify the blade shape slightly. I should be getting it back next week. We'll see how it works.

A bit of "beta testing" in the works.

I saw your prop in his shop the other day...I'm sure you'll be happy and please post a picture!

Catto New nickel leading edges

Mel
Could you tell us what was your turn around time and if you don't mind the cost of the conversion?

Thanks

Bruno
Catto 3 blades

Do you know if that leading edge can be added to existing props. I checked his website and the "Leading Edge" link is not working.

They could plate just about anything. Its just electroless nickel plating that any plating shop could do...by masking off what they don't want plated, its straightforward to do it on the leading edge.

I just recieved my shipping confirmation on my prop re-pitch and nickel leading edge installation. $375 was the invoice for the leading edge treatment and shipping. The re-pitch was free. I sent the prop FedEx ground on 1/13/11. It will be at least 30-32 days for the work. I am sure the leading edge treatment alone would be much quicker.

Tony,
How much did shipping run you?
When you get it back and on the plane I would like to fly up and see it if you don't mind.

Tony,
How much did shipping run you?
When you get it back and on the plane I would like to fly up and see it if you don't mind.

Hello Kelley,

I paid $145 per blade for the leading edges (x2) and $85 for shipping and handling (I paid about $40 for FedEx to him). I would call Craig to get an accurate quote for the 3-blade.

I was not completely happy with the leading edge tape that was on it before. Sort of like when someone covers a very nice sofa with a plastic sheet. The nickel should be impervious to deterioration from the elements. I'd say it's a long-term investment.

Come on up and see it whenever you can. Every Friday we go to Lone Rock for lunch, (KLNR). That's not too far from Boone.

Catto New nickel leading edges

Thanks for the info Tony, greatly appreciated..

Looks like I've got a new project for next winter...I got enough on my plate with a canopy replacement, new interior and new instrument panel for this winter...

Bruno
[email protected]