YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
It looks like some nice changes may be coming to the rules - most specifically (for me, anyways) allowing time in Technically Advanced Aircraft (which many of our RV's may qualify as) to count towards a commercial license.

"In April, the FAA discontinued the requirement that commercial pilot and flight instructor candidates conduct their single-engine airplane practical test in a complex airplane, and the final rule published June 27 takes that a step further. As of Aug. 27, commercial pilot candidates can use "technically advanced airplanes" in lieu of, or in combination with, a complex or turbine-powered airplane to satisfy the 10 hours of required training in these airplanes. This is estimated to save trainees $2.8 million over five years."

"Generally speaking, aircraft equipped with an electronic primary flight display (PFD) and multifunction display (MFD), as well as a two-axis autopilot, would qualify as a TAA,"

Now to find a CFI and DPE who are RV-friendly. I feel like I could spend a lot more time getting comfortable with the commercial maneuvers in my own plane, as opposed to having to learn and do it in a 30 year-old Arrow.

Chris

May be able to help

Chris -- if you cannot find a CFI willing to work with you in your airplane, maybe I can help. I do not want to take work away from someone who does the instruction for a living, so try to find a willing participant. We have several good instructors here, at KCLW, but I have never queried them on their aircraft preferences.

However, if you cannot find anyone, I would enjoy working with you in your airplane.

Ron Simonton, CFII

It looks like some nice changes may be coming to the rules - most specifically (for me, anyways) allowing time in Technically Advanced Aircraft (which many of our RV's may qualify as) to count towards a commercial license.

"In April, the FAA discontinued the requirement that commercial pilot and flight instructor candidates conduct their single-engine airplane practical test in a complex airplane, and the final rule published June 27 takes that a step further. As of Aug. 27, commercial pilot candidates can use "technically advanced airplanes" in lieu of, or in combination with, a complex or turbine-powered airplane to satisfy the 10 hours of required training in these airplanes. This is estimated to save trainees $2.8 million over five years."

"Generally speaking, aircraft equipped with an electronic primary flight display (PFD) and multifunction display (MFD), as well as a two-axis autopilot, would qualify as a TAA,"

Now to find a CFI and DPE who are RV-friendly. I feel like I could spend a lot more time getting comfortable with the commercial maneuvers in my own plane, as opposed to having to learn and do it in a 30 year-old Arrow.

Chris

I know a guy in Stewart FL that might do it. pM me and I?ll give you his info.