rwtalbot

Well Known Member
I pulled both P-Mags from my engine recently to do an upgrade. I noticed the left gear had a fair amount of corrosion on it. The right gear is clean. The engine is approx 18 months old and not yet run. I would assume it was not rusted when it went in.

Just wondering if this is normal? I looked up in the accessories housing and everything still looks well lubricated (in fact the gears on the ignitions were too) and no other signs of corrosion. I recently had the rocker covers off and certainly no issues in there either.

I'm planning to clean it off with a light scotchbrite / emery paper before reinstallation

Thanks
Richard
Finishing

Rust in the machined areas is more of an issue then rust on a non machine area. If it is just surface rust Scotchbrite should do the trick. Even with the best preservation techniques, in most climates, you will sometimes get surface rust. Especially, if you go for a year and a half with no additional attention.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

It's a good idea to shorten the oil change cycle for the first few oil changes just to be on the safe side. 10 hours max on the ist one.