Steve A

Well Known Member
I have a new engine and prop and have been grounded since I replaced the old engine. What forms do I have to submit to the FAA to get back in good
graces with them. I called my DAR and he says he wants to help but is very busy this time of year. I have the number of the prop and engine and I think my weight and balance will be affected. I would appreciate any help in this matter. THanks.

RV 7A
S S Anderson
Baffled in Broussard, La.

I have a new engine and prop and have been grounded since I replaced the old engine. What forms do I have to submit to the FAA to get back in good
graces with them. I called my DAR and he says he wants to help but is very busy this time of year. I have the number of the prop and engine and I think my weight and balance will be affected. I would appreciate any help in this matter. THanks.

RV 7A
S S Anderson
Baffled in Broussard, La.

At the very minimum you need to revise your weight and balance data and submit a new Form 8130-6 to the FAA to update the aircraft's records with the new data for the different engine and prop that is now installed (I am assuming it is different otherwise you wouldn't have to do anything other than a log book entry).

If you know the weight and arm of the removed engine and prop, and the new engine and prop you could revise the weight and balance with calculations, but the easiest way likely is reweighing the airplane. Make a log book entry stating that the W&B has been revised and put the date on teh new W&B form to correspond to the date of the log entry

Whether you need to do any more than this depends on your operating limitations. You need to see what they say regarding what is required after incorporating a major change (changing to a different model prop. or engine is considered a major change).