MartinPred

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The good news: after months of delay, I finally have my new engine hung, new prop installed, and am about ready to fly.

The bad news: something's not quite right.

Background: Back in December I ran off the runway and ended up with the tail in the air and the nose in the dirt. But I was uninjured and well-insured. So I had an A&P replace the firewall, the engine mount, and a lot of other stuff. And rather than do a tear down of my old, old engine, I opted to trade it in for a factory re-man O-360-A1D--same engine as before, but this one is a wide-deck.

Since my Sensenich wood was shattered, I ordered a new Catto three blade.

So after all of that, plus quite a bit of fiber glass work, the plane is back together again.

The odd thing: The engine appears to not be centered in the cowling (see picture). It looks like it's offset to the lower right about 1/2" So I'm wondering if the engine is installed incorrectly or if the cowling just doesn't fit the new engine. Maybe I just need to re-cowl it.

I'm also wondering if it will alter the handling characteristics in any significant way.

Thoughts?

-Martin
402BD

P.S. Thanks to some fellow Van Heads and the records they provided me, the FAA is willing to sign me off without going back into Phase I testing--important because my airplane is currently at VGT where Phase I ops are not allowed.

402BDCowlFit.jpg

Since the firewall was replaced...

...it seems reasonable to assume that the motor mount might have shifted a little in the rebuild process, or your rebuilt cowl is slightly different at the mounting edges.

Certified planes allow shims between the dynafocal "ears" and the rubber mounts for exactly this purpose of lining up an engine with an existing cowl.

Loosen the engine mount bolts and stick some shims in as needed. I got a thick Lord shim to move my Tiger engine (same case...:)...) just over a 1/4 inch.

The "shim factor" is about 3 to 1.

Make sure you have the compulsory two shim washers (should be specificed in the motor mount instructions) on the bottom two mounting ears first, or your engine will not sit correctly on the motor mount.

The thick Lord spacer washer (0.109 inches thick) is a J2218-6 and the thinner ones (about 1/16 thick) are J2218-61 IIRC

Last edited: