dbuds2

Well Known Member
Trying to follow the ECI Break-In instruction and would appreciate your input on interpreting the following:
"10. On take‐off, use minimum power to reach 40 MPH (IAS) before applying required take‐off power. CAUTION: Determine that there is sufficient runway remaining in order to reach take‐off airspeed.
11. Use take‐off power only as long as necessary to get to BEST CLIMB SPEED. Reduce manifold pressure to minimum required for clean in‐flight attitude. Reduce power to 75%. Use minimum rate of climb with maximum air speed consistent with terrain."

My draft flight card:
1. Accelerate to 35 knots (40 mph), ???? RPM.
2. At 35 knots, advance throttle to ~2500 rpm (75%)
3. Climb at 100-110 knots over the airport to 3000 AGL.
4. Level flight at 75% (~2400-2500 rpm) for 20-30 minutes

Sure hope you guys can comment on this. I've read AC 90-89A several times and will incorporate the suggested control inputs. I'm mostly confused about what it takes to get to 35 knots and if there is another lower throttle setting (less than 2500 rpm) trying to stay at Vy .

ECI's main goal is to minimize power settings that cause higher CHT's, while maximizing cooling ability.

Step 10 is trying to get some airflow through the cowl before you bring in Take-off power.

Step 11 is asking for best climb speed. For your airplane that would be 100-110 kts, but in an RV that is far slower than what you want for best cooling for a brand new engine.

My goal on a first flight is always to gain some altitude as quickly as possible, but if the terrain around the airport provides some reasonable landing options, accelerating to 130-135 kts will give you better cooling and climb rate still near 1000FPM. Steeper climbs should be no problem later after break in.

And do your first flight as early in the day as possible (coolest air possible)

Very little power is required to get to 35 kts. Even at low power it will happen before you know it. As far as cruising flight, I don't think they want you at power settings lower than 75%.

Last edited:
Goal is to have as much cylinder pressure as possible (to press the rings against the cylinder walls) while at the same time keeping temperatures low.

If the engine was run in a test stand, the initial ring seating more than likely is done. If the engine was not run in a test stand, then the ECi recommendations apply.

I'd suggest towing the aircraft to the runway (where we are, when you work out the time it would take to taxi, CHTs get too high on the ground).

Dan

I have a much simpler methodology...Fly it like you stole it! My simple opinion is don't get too terribly carried away with specs. You can drive yourself nuts trying to keep a ton of different engine and airframe parameters at exactly a set point, meanwhile it's a first flight - which you should be concentrating on. People talk about lots and lots of nitty gritty details, but the reality is that these engines will put up with a lot. Run it hard, try to keep the CHT's below 425, make sure the oil pressure is above 60 - everything else is immaterial if the fan keeps turnin. :)

Just my 2 cents after doing a number of 1st flights.

Cheers,
Stein

I have a much simpler methodology...Fly it like you stole it! My simple opinion is don't get too terribly carried away with specs. You can drive yourself nuts trying to keep a ton of different engine and airframe parameters at exactly a set point, meanwhile it's a first flight - which you should be concentrating on. People talk about lots and lots of nitty gritty details, but the reality is that these engines will put up with a lot. Run it hard, try to keep the CHT's below 425, make sure the oil pressure is above 60 - everything else is immaterial if the fan keeps turnin. :)

Just my 2 cents after doing a number of 1st flights.

Cheers,
Stein

Excellent advise. On my first flight, I tried very hard to run the airplane off the left side of the runway on takeoff. I was watching RPM, temps, pressures, airspeed, yada, yada, yada, when I should have been looking out the window...

Get the airplane off the ground, get it to speed (130 knots or more) keep your foot in it, and get some altitude under you. Then circle the field at 3,000' (or whatever works) and full power (or as close as you can without exceeding temperature or pressure limits) for 20 minutes or so, do a brief slow flight trial to check low speed handling, then get the airplane back on the ground.

Pull the cowl, inspect, and repeat the flight, except maybe fly 30-40 minutes the next time.

I agree with Stein. Only thing I'd add, in case it's not obvious, is that full rich mixture and as high as practical airspeed will help to keep the CHT's down.
BTW, although safety concerns dictate an altitude where you can glide to a good place, for cooling you want to stay low, where the air is denser. You also need to stay low enough to generate relatively high MP.

I'm not sure if the ECI tapered head cylinders require a different break in procedure, but my experience is pretty much what Stein described. I did speak with ECI before ever running the engine. They told me that a couple short ground runs, max of 3 minutes each to check for leaks and verify the engine was making full power (static RPM check) was all required prior to first flight.

For the actual flight, they said to run it full throttle until the CHT's drop. They started coming down after a couple hours, but it took about 7 hours for them to stabilize at the "broken in" temperature.

Execellent Comments

The engine does have over an hour of "run in" time on the test stand (Americas Aircraft Engines) so the I agree with the comment that most of the ring to nickel-carbide cylinder sealing is done.

Appreciate the suggestion for higher air speed on climb out and will make the change to -130 knots.

Kyle and Stein, great reminders to FLY THE PLANE and reduce the amount of panel watching. I'm about to start transition training and will get familliar with throttle settings and speeds. Hoping to fly with a friend in his RV7 to simulate my first flight.

So valuable this forum is to me and thanks to all.

Yep

Kyle and Stein speak words of wisdom!

Use cruise-climbs in this hot weather, around 140-155 MPH for cooling purposes.

Good luck,

Low level, say 2000'

Wide Open Throttle

Rpm max at take off, check for fuel flow to be at or close to HP/10 = USGPH
Once at 2000' say 2500RPM

You can use full rich, but if your engine is well balance in fuel/air ratios, use about 60-80F Lean Of Peak. Ignore the flat earth society!!

This does everything it should, and nothing it shouldn't and if you need to know more PM me, Skype call might help!

David Brown