grubbat

Well Known Member
I wonder if the new EAA STC process that was used to get the Dynon D10 EFIS approved for part 23 aircraft could be used by other companies such as EMAG to fast track their 6cyl and 4cyl PMags?

What made now the " right" time?

What made this the "right" time to allow this process? I'm still waiting on Class 3 changes that are now in the morass of The DC political machine. This one came through due to a different DC machine, the bureaucratic process, the one that seems to work. Would love to see the D100, the GRT all in one unit and the Garmin G5 added to this STC and an expansion into other airframes.

Someone at SNF pointed out that this is evolutionary, with other PMA/TSO options, that do the same thing already available. I disagree. This is an experimental REVOLUTION!!!! EAA/Dynon, whether intentional or not, are proving that the only affordable option for personal aviation, for most of us regular joes/janes out here, is the experimental route.

What made this the "right" time to allow this process? I'm still waiting on Class 3 changes that are now in the morass of The DC political machine.

Yep. My business brain supports an STC process to take some of our experimental gear into the GA mainstream. Our EFIS vendors, for example, could no doubt use an expansion of their market. Healthy, profitable vendors are good for everyone.

On the personal side, I couldn't care less. It's unlikely I'll ever own another certified airplane, and the products are already available to an EAB guy. What I really want is a renewed focus on eliminating the Class III medical.

Yep. My business brain supports an STC process to take some of our experimental gear into the GA mainstream. Our EFIS vendors, for example, could no doubt use an expansion of their market. Healthy, profitable vendors are good for everyone.

On the personal side, I couldn't care less. It's unlikely I'll ever own another certified airplane, and the products are already available to an EAB guy. What I really want is a renewed focus on eliminating the Class III medical.

I would add that people like me who own certified aircraft and are building now have a less expensive option to add significant capability and increase the resale value of our certified craft when we finish our builds!

I wonder if the new EAA STC process that was used to get the Dynon D10 EFIS approved for part 23 aircraft could be used by other companies such as EMAG to fast track their 6cyl and 4cyl PMags?

I asked Brad at Pmag while at SNF about that and he said they are mostly through the long process design, build and test so the new FAA program won't really help them.

Sounds like they also have about 6 units of their 6cyl out in the field testing.

Thanks

Thanks for the update on Pmags John. I love my past and present RV's but I had to give in and get a certified recently. I wanted a -10 but the Twinkie was a better deal for my current mission. My opinion is that the FAA ralleyed around the EAA STC process because they could associate it with safety improvements. The 3rd class medical doesn't seem to have the improved safety background. Personally, I too hope the 3rd class medical goes away for us non commercial flyers.