macrafic

Well Known Member
I'm about ready to order my finish kit, and called Becky at Airplane Plastics about ordering the next darker tint.

She made me aware of a new material that they have been using for about 3 years that is also available. Apparently, it has had success on the Red Bull and show circuits. It is supposed to block all/most UV and greatly reduce the heat penetration and that users have said the reduced heat is significantly noticeable. Additional cost for the canopy and only the standard tint.

Anybody using this new material? What have been your results relative to the claims? Related, have you made any notes about its durability/resistance to cracking? Finally, it makes sense to me that if it can keep heat out, it might also be better at keeping heat in, which is important here in Minnesota. Any observations there?

SC-15 CANOPY

Both RussD and I have the SC-15 canopy from Airplane Plastics. I have flown Russ's, (mine isn't flying yet) but don't have enough rv time to compare it to. It does seem to be a lot cooler that the Lancair 360 I flew back to NM from Oshkosh in;) Shoot Russ a message if you want to know more.

Edit: Here is more info in this thread, be sure to check out the test results on it!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47102

Last edited:
Both RussD and I have the SC-15 canopy from Airplane Plastics. I have flown Russ's, (mine isn't flying yet) but don't have enough rv time to compare it to. It does seem to be a lot cooler that the Lancair 360 I flew back to NM from Oshkosh in;) Shoot Russ a message if you want to know more.

Edit: Here is more info in this thread, be sure to check out the test results on it!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47102

Thanks Don!

I don't know the answer to how well it works, but I am hoping to find out soon! I have a brand new SC-15 canopy for the Valkyrie sitting in the garage, waiting for warmer weather to install...I can verify that the tint doesn't really look any different than stock (at least siting in the box).

Paul

I talked to Van's about this option and it is an additional $310 for an RV7/9.
I'm going to get this with my finish kit order.

I will be interested in your results too!

I don't know the answer to how well it works, but I am hoping to find out soon! I have a brand new SC-15 canopy for the Valkyrie sitting in the garage, waiting for warmer weather to install...I can verify that the tint doesn't really look any different than stock (at least siting in the box).

Paul

I will be very interested in your opinion of the effectiveness of the SC-15 when you get flying with it. You have enough RV experience to tell us how well it works:D

Summer is coming!

Would love to hear any more feedback on temperature difference. I'm building a 7 in Las Vegas and even a few degrees cooler in the blazing sun would be worth a couple hundred dollars.

Chad