jlfernan

Well Known Member
Hi all, just started my 9A today and this is my first post. I have a simple inquiery. After spending the better part of four hours smoothing and deburring the main HS ribs and nose ribs, muscles cramping, knuckles bleeding I started wondering; "How does Cessna do it?" I can't picture some little guy sitting there with deburring tools and Scotchbrite pads smoothing all those edges. I've also developed a heathly respect for all the slow builders out there. No way I could build a slow build wing!! Just the ramblings of a tired builder, talk to you all later.

Jorge Fernandez
N214JL(Reserved):)

Last edited:
Jorge,

Welcome to the wonderful world of RV building! Over time you will get faster by picking up new techniques and by learning what is acceptable and what is not. My suggestion is make sure your shop is comfortable and has all the creature comforts you like. For some, a radio or CD player help pass the time. I like to have a TV running with either a sporting event (baseball season is just around the corner) or news/weather channel. Just be careful to keep most of your attention on the work. If a Victoria's Secret commercial comes on, put down the mallet and step away from the C-frame dimpler! :D

Sharp edges, cuts, and raw nerves!

Welcome to the world of RV's. I'm on the final part of my very very slow build -6A. I agree with Tony that you need the creature comforts because you are going to spend many hours in your shop. There are also days when things are not going quite right and you need to distract yourself for a while, cool down, and just take a break. Good luck and just stick with it... you'll find other things to try your patience.

Paul Czarapata
N694BP (reserved)

Welcome ot the club! I think you will find it very enjoyable. I know the hardest thing for me was the time I spent getting the shop ready but I am glad I took the time up front and got most of the shop stuff done. I usually turn on the radio and plug away, before I know it time has passed and the evening or day is gone. :eek:

Good luck and have fun!

Cessna doesn't!

Welcome Jorge,
While I'm building my -7A I keep the motivation and skills up by flying my '59 C172 at least once a week. I do whatever maintenance I can on the plane as permitted by the FARs as a pilot/operator and some time ago while replacing a landing light I noticed that inside the trim ring ALL of the exposed aluminum edges were sharp! No deburring was evident anywhere within the landing/taxi light opening in the leading edge of the wing. Makes me wonder how many possible stress risers are lurking within the wings, etc. I definitely feel better about the 20+ hours I spent deburring my own wing ribs! Enjoy the building.

Deburing blues

As many other builders have learned...the process is slow and painful until you master it..then its a slight bit faster and painful! I use a 2" scotchbrite pad on a 90 degree die grinder for almost all the deburing, and things go pretty quick. Having spent the last 25 years of my life rebuilding "old" spam cans, and airliners alike, I can asure you, the plane you are building will excell above and beyond what any manufactured airplane will even come close to.The "stress riser" and fatigue issues are most critical in corners, radius cuts ,ect., and due to light loads at the "free edge" of a rib flange the deburing becomes less of a requirement....that is why the manufactures dont waste the time...Good luck, and happy de-buring!
Bill Englert..RV-4 slow build 90% done 90% to go!

There's a great desire to get something done every day, but I make mistakes when I push myself, especially when I'm tired. You will too. After a few hours of the concentration and tedium you've described, a break is necessary and helpful. I have a comfy chaise lounge to put my feet up. In the back of the hangar, I keep our tent trailer which has a queen size mattress, pillows and blankets for serious napping. Surprisingly, solutions and ideas flow during that zone between fully asleep and fully awake. Take a break, put down the tools and the drawings. Go sit in the sun, turn on a program you like, and enjoy a tall cold one. After thirty minutes or so, have at it again with renewed enthusiasm.

Remember that this project is going to take a long time. Some days will be diamonds, others will be stones. Nevertheless, do something, anything, every day, and before long, you'll be done.

Keep a supply of snacks, cold drinks and extra chairs visitors handy. Put down the tools and take time to savor and share the experience. It's supposed to be fun, and it's best when shared. Good luck, and enjoy.

I had the same problem!

I had the same problem and found this to be useful.

Steve Moore wrote:

A trick I learned is this.

1. Cut three 0.5" square pieces of scotchbrite pad.
2. Attach them to a dremel mandrel by pushing the scotbrite pad onto the screw one piece at a time and then screw all that into the mandrel.
3. Put it in your dremel tool and you now have a tool that both smooths all those flange gaps as well as the small tooling or conduit/wire holes.

Hope this helps.

If you need the whole thread search for "Sanding, is there a better way?"

Ansarie. :)