Jwhallon

I'm New Here
Hello,

First time poster, long time reader. After 2 years of consideration and planning, the time has come where I am financially ready to start building the -8. I have flown twice in the back of a friends aircraft, talked with the EAA community at the local FBO and seen first hand the commitment, sacrifice and hard work these people have put into getting their machines up and running (and in some cases, not).

I bought the toll box kit and had a wonderful time constructing it in a friends hangar. I really feel this will be a fun yet challenging project and look forward to the learning curves. I'll be starting the empennage next May after moving to California for the next tour of duty.

Questions:

1. What tools would you recommend for starting.
2. Would used tools be a good idea?
3. Where is a reputable source? (I know of Aircraft Spruce, anywhere else?)

Thanks for the advice.

I bought my tools kind of piece meal trying to save a few bucks. If I had to do it over again, I'd just pick up one of the tool kits sold by the tool vendors on this site.

A couple of things I would definitely do different are,

1. Buy a good quality air hammer. I bought one on e-bay that I think was used originally to build 1948 Cessnas or something. It worked, but controlling the hammering force wasn't easy.

2. A pneumatic rivet squeezer is worth it's weight in gold. I don't own one but borrowed one for a bit in the middle of the build. Wonderful tool. If I build again, I'll pick one up for sure.

3. Don't skimp on bucking bars. You'll need lots of shapes to get to some of those tough spots.

4. A small sheet metal brake comes in mighty handy!

Lots of other information will likely be forthcoming from the brain trust here.

Good tools will last a lifetime if you take care of them.

A quality set of tools is most important. Unless you have a very experienced mentor to help you pick out used tools I suggest you buy a tool set from a reputable dealer? I once heard that you can't go wrong with the A,B,Cs of the tool world (Avery, Brown and Cleveland). I have dealt with them all and have never been disappointed.

Avery, Brown, Cleveland, and also Isham tools are all on the internet and all offer "RV Tool Packages". You can add or delete as you wish. (But none include an air compressor, which you'll need to buy locally.)

Yes, sometimes you can get good deals on used tools.

Do you know where in CA you'll be stationed? There are lots of EAA chapters around where you can often borrow the "need it once" tool.

Tools

My recommendations are as follows. Please keep in mind with the investment
In good tools, although you will spend more, you will soon see the value.
They will make your build go faster, better quality and more enjoyable. You will
Make a substantial investment in this plane and don't rule out the first priority.
You can always get most of your money back on them.

1.Pneumatic rivet squeezer with 3 yokes. 3 or 4 inch, longeron, and a no hole.
2. Good oil compressor (oil less noise)
3. 1/4" palm drill with quick change chuck. Souix is a great brand.
4. Tungsten bucking bar. 1 small bar is all I have needed.
5. Aviation grade rivet gun with air adjuster. 3x
6. Drd2 dimpler. Spend the extra money. You will be making lots of dimples.
7. Good quality spring back dimple dies for very nice no deflection dimples.
8. Many other tools both aviation and non. Brown tool, Cleveland, Avery, Yard Store ( go through all the catalogues and prioritize). At some point you will need
A specific tool for a job. These guys will have it. Isham tools has good quality kits.

Last edited:
Welcome

Jesse
First and most important, thank you for your service.
Second, welcome.
Third. Lots of good advise already so I won't add but will expand just a bit.
Buy a good 220 air compressor. You can never have too much air!
Personally I would recommend a Sioux 3x if you can only have one gun.
Add a tungsten bucking bar to the mix. You will use it and love it.
I'll second the recommendation for a pneumatic squeezer. My favorite tool.
Watch the VAF classifieds. Lots of good deals.

Pneumatic Squeezer

Awesome tool with the yokes. Buy all three yokes. Also quick change pins!
Oh yes, a must have is the adjustable die attachment in order to quickly and accurately squeeze to spec.

I second the 220 V belt driven compressor, never used an air drill on the entire project, used a 12 V Li Ion Dewalt weighs around two pounds and no compressor running or air hose.

Rpm

Nice thing about the air drills are the high RPM. The general rule: harder material, steel, stainless, etc. high pressure low RPM. With aluminum the higher the RPM and low palm pressure the cleaner and less drift in the cut. With so many holes to drill in an airplane RPM is nice to have. If you buy a nice air drill on eBay you can sell it for what you paid for it. Souix palm drill is a great tool. Check out The Yard Store for good deals on used
tools.

Last edited:
I'll be starting the empennage next May after moving to California for the next tour of duty.

Do you know where in CA you'll be stationed?

My recommendations are as follows.

6. Drd2 dimpler. Spend the extra money. You will be making lots of dimples.

I will second the DRDT2 recommendation----great tool.

And, if you happen to end up in the Sacramento area, I just happen to know of a really nice DRDT2 with table that you could borrow ;)

Great recommendations here already. I would not be without my air drill, or the pneumatic squeezer. You can do without, but with good resale retention, and value of use, why not? I looked at tool kits at OSH and found that few of my lifetime collection of mechanics tools were useful, so I got an Avery kit and added the tungsten bucking bar. It is some of the best money I have spent.

I had rather be building than chasing tools all the time. YMMV, as I am getting nearer the end of the rope and wish to actually fly my plane while I can.

One thing I use much more than expected is the 90deg angle drill adapter. I almost wish I got a dedicated 90deg air drill.

I have more custom made bucking bars than purchased.

I should quit typing and get back to wiring . . . Happy Building!

I should have mentioned that I'm still considering the -3B as well as the -8.
Ill be stationed in NAS Lemoore, which I found isn't too far from EAA chapter 376 in Fresno. Looking forward to making some friends there.

Thanks everyone for the input. You'll see me posting on here more as the days get closer!

Tools

I have worked with Avery Tools at Oshkosh and Sun n Fun. So I know Bob very well. You cannot go wrong with his tool set. Get that first. Then you might pick up more tools as you go.
Angle drill is a must, So is a pneumatic squeezer.

I fly a RV8 but I like all the RVs Build what makes you excited every time you see one.