ensenmason

I'm New Here
Hello all.

I looked around, so forgive me if this has already been asked.

Is it permissible to hire somebody to work side by side with me? This is my first project and I'd really like it done right. Do such people exist?

Also, is there a section in the forums for newbies?

Welcome.
The rules say you must build 51% or more, including Vans work in the total. You also are building for your own pleasure or education. So you may pay someone for a limited amount of work, as long as you still do 51%. But you may hire him to teach you how to do the work yourself (education part) without limit.
No newbie section. From time to time everyone asks a question which in retrospect was simple. Don't worry about it.

Newbie!

Welcome!

The first question can better be answered by somebody else. I'm not sure of all the legalities of it. As far as the newbie part-

Remember, most people that have built a plane have never built a plane before. This is a place to ask questions-most of the people asking the questions are newbies! But, I'd highly recommend having someone local help show you the ropes to start with or it can be frustrating.

Enjoy the adventure! :)

51%

It seems like 51% can be pretty nebulous. I demo flew a plane that i won't mention a few days ago (not vans releated). They can basicly build it for you. Their position is that the work they do counts in the 51% because they're working with and for you. That is probably pushing it, but i have to admit, it took a lot of the feeling of uncertainty away.

I decided im going to move on with the 8a i started but i sure would like somebody like that who can ensure i don't fail.

Welcome

Welcome Ensen
I would suggest the following.
1. Join the local EAA chapter, find a willing mentor and the local Tech Counselor. Between the two, you will learn all you need and have a knowledgeable person looking over the work.
2. EAA sheet metal class and webinars.
3. Vans practice kits.
4. Build on

Is there an EAA chapter nearby? They are always happy to critique your work in an honest but not harsh way.

51% rule is NOT nebulous!

If you pay someone to work for or with you, their work does NOT count toward your 51%.

If you are building a "quick-build" kit, you have very little room for paid help.

If you obtain paid builder assistance you will need to complete the list contained in AC 20-27G, appendix 8 to show compliance with the 51% rule.

Last edited:
Help

If you are still looking for someone, I can highly recommend Dennis Millsap. Highly knowledgeable repeat builder and a delight to work with. Give me a call at 414/861-8804 if you'd like to get further information. Good luck!

Good information in that circular, thank you. So the use of commercial assistance is limited to 51% minus portion completed by the kit manufacturer.

Looking further, i found construction classes / builders assistance not too far from me. Maybe that would be the way to go. And EAA of course.

EAA class

I took the EAA class out at Flabob a couple of weeks ago. It was the RV builder class, so you build one of the practice kits that vans sells over a weekend. I would recommended this class to anyone thinking of starting a project. Won't learn everything, but a good start.
I teach out at Redlands airport. Are you going to do your build in a hanger on the airport?