meloosifah

Well Known Member
Well, I have been lurking around here for a couple of years reading virtually every post, taking notes, making plans and generally plotting to take over the world. I am finally taking the plunge and buying an RV-8 kit. I should be picking up the empennage kit (already completed) and my Cleveland tools in a couple weeks and my wings a couple weeks after that. The wings are a started slow build kit.

I have been scheming and dreaming of this for almost 5 years. If anyone has any suggestions for me as I begin this kit please don't hesitate to speak. This will be my first project of this sort. I used to restore air cooled Porsches but never an aircraft.

I am thinking of adding a few things to this IFR ship as I go-
Grove airfoil gear
Extra fuel
Inverted fuel/oil
Upgrade the brakes, tires, tail wheel
Generally try to apply every go-fast upgrade that I can

I have searched high and low but have not found a list of proven mods that people have tried and proven to increase speed, performance, efficiency, etc. Anyone have one? Looking to make this thing as fast as I can on a parallel valve io-360 without creating a maintenance nightmare so I figured I should focus on the airframe more than the power plant. Any thoughts or suggestions?

A couple of questions for the group:
1 - Thinking of adding auxiliary fuel tank in one wing and smoke oil in the other. Any thoughts or suggestions?
2 - Any -8 builders in Indiana near Anderson?
3 - Anyone nearby with a flying -8 that would be willing to let me try it on for size (and maybe even take me up for short flight) if I promise not to drool on it too much?

Thanks to all who posted the great info that I have been sponging on for the past several years.

Blake

Semper Fi

Welcome aboard

Blake,
Welcome to the -8 club. I like your ideas. Sure you'll turn out a nice bird.

I'm over in Ohio, so if you are ever in the neighborhood - give me a shout.