Paul PA

I found Mitch Lock (or a friend) posted a video on YouTube a few days ago and I didn't notice it posted on here so I thought I would share it with you all.

Some in flight footage and a few still shots. My wife loved the music! Real nice job with the video and Mitch did an excellent job on his plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH5BDcf72WM

Last edited:
This video was produced and posted by Joe Czachorowski, RV-8 & 10 builder/pilot, OSH Bronze Lindy winner for his 10, and Airbus captain.

He's also starting RV-10 transition training here on the east coast, so please pass this on to anyone who might need/want it. Contact me at 240-427-8847 or [email protected] for info.

Anyway, I've got almost 40 hours on New Blue. The more I fly this airplane, the better I like it. In any airplane, it takes a while to get used to its sights, sounds, smells and feel. I'm pretty well dialed in on this one now.

I'm finding it very comfortable on long cross countries. My furthest to date was 375NM. It took me 4 hours, battling 20 knot headwinds the whole way. I had to make one fuel stop because I have set a personal limit of not letting the fuel to get below 5 gallons. (I have a 10 gallon min in my RV-8) Over the years, I've gotten used to letting autopilots fly long legs. New Blue doesn't have the servos installed yet, so I have to hand fly all the time. I'm finding it an easy airplane to maintain heading and altitude, even is windy conditions. Stability and control responsiveness are the reasons why.

This is probably the easiest airplane to land I've ever flown. Not only for the reasons stated above, but for the low landing speeds. Crossing the numbers at 55-60 knots makes you feel like you could run faster than it flies just before touchdown. My stiffest cross wind has been about 10 knots direct and gusty. You gotta stay on it as this is a very light airplane, but it has plenty of rudder. The hardest thing to do (as with any RV) is to slow down in the pattern. Seager taught me to fly it at 65 knots. Takes discipline and planning to fly it at that speed. It wants to go faster, especially when you start pointing downhill. It takes practise.

I'm really having trouble finding negatives about this airplane (Big surprise I guess coming from a Van's employee.). Maybe having to add TCP to the tank when I use 100LL. Small pain I suppose. Having to schlep (sp?)auto gas to the airport is really offset by paying $2.70/gal for hi test mogas gas vs. $4.25 for 100LL. If I could change anything, it would be to have a trim switch on the stick grip. Useful in the pattern. I have one in my RV-8 and I'm used to it there. This is convenience, not necessity.

If I were building a 12 for myself, I'd probably opt for the second Dynon EFIS on the right side. That way I could keep the engine info over there and have flight and NAV data in front of me all the time. I like having the HSI displayed, but I need engine data. With two screens I can have it all.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts as of today. I'll post more as time goes on.

Keep at it guys/gals. You're gonna love it!

Mitch,

Thanks for the writeup. Sorry I missed you on your recent trip north. I was in Oregon, including a visit to the factory, where we got the royal treatment from Joe. See my post at: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=48427
and follow the link to my log. Notice I mentioned the same thing re: a stick mounted trim switch. That would be a really handy future option.

Best,

John