the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
I don't remember seeing anything on VAF about these units before, but Honeywell / Bendix/King has announced new TSOed EFIS and NAV/COMM box (think G530) for certified applications, the KFD 840 EFIS and KSN 770 integrated NAV/COMM/GPS box. No word yet on pricing.

What I find interesting is the EFIS display and how similar it looks to the AFS 3400/3500 series with the V5 software (the HSI is obviously different; love it or hate it):

KFD_840.bmp

AFS%20EFIS%20V5%20Split%20screen.jpg

Just for kicks, let's throw in the Avidyne, which, IMHO, has excellent symbology and display layout, but is physically larger (no comment on it's reliability):
PFD_Cirrus_FD_small.jpg

Make of the similarities between AFS and King what you will, but IMHO the symbology on both looks good. I can't imagine that the price on the KFD840 will be competitive with the "experimental EFIS" products (witness the G600's pricetag at $30k).

TODR

Gary Bricker

I had this discussion yesterday about Garmin not having much competition. Maybe King has seen the need. I doubt it.

the_other_dougreeves said:
What I find interesting is the EFIS display and how similar it looks to the AFS 3400/3500 series with the V5 software (the HSI is obviously different; love it or hate it):

TODR

That's not a coincidence. BK/AFS are friendly with each other now. Good for everyone... IMHO.... and FWIW I love it.

the_other_dougreeves said:
I don't remember seeing anything on VAF about these units before, but Honeywell / Bendix/King has announced new TSOed EFIS and NAV/COMM box (think G530) for certified applications, the and integrated NAV/COMM/GPS box. No word yet on pricing.

See here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=19822

I posted this before I saw the Aspen Avionics products. If Aspen can make it to market at the stated price and certification level, no one in their right mind would look at this or the G600.

MNRVFlyer said:
That's not a coincidence. BK/AFS are friendly with each other now. Good for everyone... IMHO.... and FWIW I love it.
Ahhh, in-tee-resting. I was thinking that the symbology was a little too similar to be an accident. Glad someone is trying to compete with Garmin.

w1curtis said:
See here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=19822

I posted this before I saw the Aspen Avionics products. If Aspen can make it to market at the stated price and certification level, no one in their right mind would look at this or the G600.
Oops, my bad. And yes, I agree that the Aspen products crush the G600 and Sandel products in terms of value.

TODR