RV8dude

I'm New Here
What are the licensing implications regarding the purchase of EAB wings (or tail, fuselage, etc.) from a previously licensed airplane?
Where is the line? In other words, what parts can come from a flying airplane or salvage yard and still be EAB?

If I am correct, if someone builds most if not all of the airplane and I walk in and purchase the project (not a pro builder situation) then I can list my self as the builder. Using this logic, can someone remove the data plate and unregister their airplane and let someone else recertify it listing themselves as the builder? I assume that there is some sort of invisible line that is crossed once the pink slip is issued. The question is what part or parts of the airplane does the AW Certificate belong to.

Dale

Good question,..... but.....

This comes up a lot because people confuse two different "rules".
The first is what is considered EAB. It doesn't matter who built the plane, how many people were involved, or where the parts came from. It only matters that at least 51% of the airplane was built by amateurs.

The second is who is the builder for the purpose of obtaining the repairman's certificate. Only one person may apply for this and the requirement is that they must justify that they had a hand in building most of the airplane. I'm sure others can provide more specifics on how this is determined, but as long as you can convince the DAR (or FAA, I'm not sure) that you are the builder, you can get the repairman's certificate.

A friend of mine bought a de-registered RV-4, disassembled, with no radios/avionics or engine, as "Airplane parts", assembled it and is now flying it.

Many tailkits/completed empennage kits are bought and sold, on this site and others, and used to become part of a completed airplane.

As Craig pointed out, those parts were amateur-built and end up as part of the whole.

Best,

Would you have to show some kind of proof that the parts were built by amatures. I would think so. Without a buld log or other proof, the dar could easily refuse your application.

Yes. Also if the airplane has been certificated you must continue to use the original builder's name and serial number.
You cannot legally "rebuild" an aircraft and consider it new?
FAA Order 8130.2 is very specific to state that any salvaged part do NOT count toward the 51%. If you are using amateur-built parts, you must show proof that they were indeed amateur-built.