dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Several questions;
1) what is scotch brightening, when do you do it, where is the product purchased
2) I saw one builder talk about Sherwin Williams wash primer. Is that a product for primer the larger surfaces with and HVLP gun?
3) where to purchased plastic rivet set caps to prevent smile on rivets
4) where to purchase NAPA 7220 self-etching primer
Thank you.

ScotchBrite is a trade name for a synthetic line of abrasives manufactured by 3M. There are also a number of similar competitive products, which get lumped into the generic term ScotchBrite.
For RV building purposes, these abrasives are used to polish and deburr aluminum surfaces. They can be purchased at a great number of locations, including Sears. [not the most cost effective].
Check the advertisers on this site. Many of us have purchased our ScotchBrite products from Avery Tools, Brown Tools & Pan American Tools. The generic term is "surface conditioning discs".
MSC and McMaster-Carr also carry these products. You will want to purchase the 2" "Roloc" discs, 1 & 2" drums for use with a right angle pneumatic grinder. Buy the maroon [medium] discs for initial smoothing and the blue [fine] discs for finish smoothing and de-burring of rivet holes. You will also want 6" wheels [mounted to a bench grinder in place of the stones which come with the grinder] in both medium and fine grades.

Sherwin-Williams wash primer is a "short cut" etch and primer. It can be applied with an HVLP gun, if desired.

I got my plastic rivet set caps from Avery Tools. I wish I had known about them sooner.

The NAPA in NAPA 7220 should give you a clue on where to buy it. NAPA is a national chain of auto parts stores.

Charlie

Last edited: