macrafic

Well Known Member
I had heard recently that AFS came out with new magnetometers, and that the old ones are no longer a viable combination with the new EFIS's. I'm looking for any information on this (trying to understand how they changed and why), but can not find any, either in general or on the AFS web site/forums.

Anybody have any information on this?

It is actually a new higher performance AHRS unit that is remotely mounted.

Model ___________Roll Rate (max)___________G Meter
Crossbow 525________200 deg/sec______________4 G?s
72010 AHRS_________500 deg/sec______________8 G?s

The new 72010 AHRS mounts in the same location as the current Crossbow Magnetometer using the same holes and wiring.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc

It is actually a new higher performance AHRS unit that is remotely mounted.

Crossbow 525________200 deg/sec______________4 G?s

The new 72010 AHRS mounts in the same location as the current Crossbow Magnetometer using the same holes and wiring.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc

So, Rob. Is the new AHRS unit a separate unit from the Magnetometer, or have they been combined? And, what are the benefits in going with the remote AHRS unit vs the older embedded unit? Thanks for jumping in on this!

Rob,

What is the physical communication link between the remote unit and what protocol is handling the data?

(edit) I just saw that it uses the same wiring as the original magnetometer.

So, Rob. Is the new AHRS unit a separate unit from the Magnetometer, or have they been combined? And, what are the benefits in going with the remote AHRS unit vs the older embedded unit? Thanks for jumping in on this!

The new unit has the AHRS and Magnetometer in the same module.

The new AHRS has much better performance.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

The nice thing about them being combined is the installation is much easier. There is no longer a requirement for the EFIS and the ADHRS to be precisely aligned with each other (fractions of a degree were required before).

Upgrade?

Rob - Is there any benefit to upgrade my 4500 with this new magnometer/AHRS? Is it even possible? Or is this just for the 5000 series units?