deanm

I'm New Here
In an Rv 7 where is the best place to install the new 406 antenna on the new retrofit 451 ameriking ELT. The Unit size, coax cable, panel switch and phone line connections are the same. I heard people are installing them (must be vertical installed) somewhere behind the horizonal seats supports under the canopy? Short anteena only 8" tall. The old antenna laid on the horizontal is in the tail cone. So I have more than enough coax. The new rule requires this done before August all of a sudden? Thanks FCC/FAA. thanks for any help or thoughts Dean

I just installed this ELT a couple of weeks ago. I made a mount to place it on the floor just behind the pilot's seat, forward of the flap actuator. This area of the floor is sloped, so I had to make a platform to level it up. I made a mount for the antenna using a couple of bits of alum angle, so it sits just behind the seat back brace on the left side (behind the pilot's left shoulder). THe mount is such that the base of the antenna is down near the bottom of the seat back brace, and the tip of the antenna almost touches the canopy when closed. The advantage of this setup is that the antenna is somewhat protected, adn the ELT itself (which has an AP option with an optional portable antenna) is easily removeable when leaving the aircraft (just tip the pilot's seat forward, and release the clamp on the mount that came with the ELT).

If you read the related post on this there is NO mandate to put in a 406 MHz ELT at this time. Do so if you wish but do not blame the FCC. Let AOPA and others fix this mistake by the FCC.