N941WR

Legacy Member
I need to buy some #8 "rubber" washers to protect my instrument panel paint from the screws that secure it in place. (I have an Affordable Panels panel.)

What is the difference between Neoprene and EPDM Rubber and which should I order?

Thanks for the help.

I tried rubber washers, but didn't like the
way they stuck out, (too thick).
I used white Delrin washers on the light
colored part of my panel and clear plastic
washers where white didn't look right,
(black sub-panel).
I also waited until the paint was dry and
seasoned so the washers wouldn't stick when
put under pressure.
I also have an 'Affordable' panel and the
washers are all available at McMaster-Carr.
Tom

panel washers

Spruce has very thin stainless and also white plastic washers that work well for this application.

Thanks guys but neither solution will work for me.

My panel is dark gray and I'm using black cap screws, thus the desire to use black washers. The only question is which ones, Neoprene or EPDM Rubber?

BTW, after my panel dried, I baked in the oven for 2 hours at 200 degrees to cure the paint and when I rememoved the cap screws, I still removed some of the paint. :(

I'm not too sure either one is going to work. Neoprene and rubber are pretty sticky... I think they will stick to the screw and panel and just ball up. I used the opaque white plastic (nylon?) in most places and think it looks good... better than messing up the paint under the screws.

Karl

N941WR said:
snipped

What is the difference between Neoprene and EPDM Rubber and which should I order?

Thanks for the help.

EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene. This material is used for automotive brake parts, as it best resists automotive brake fluids (glycol esters) It's working range is -35F to +300F.
Neoprene was the first synthetic rubber developed. It is a "general purpose" compound. You can find out more about it here.

http://www.baxterrubber.com/neoprene.html

For more on EPDM go here

http://www.acmerubber.com/epdm.htm

Either compound will work, however, I think Neoprene has slightly better compression set characteristics, so I'd choose it.

Charlie Kuss

Dyes

One option might be to dye natural colored (whitish) nylon washers.
Nylon reponds quite well to RIT dye from your local department store.
You could see if black dye would make the white nylon washers dark enough.

Mix the dye to a stronger solution than on the box...

If it doesn't work, just use the left over dye to make some trendy 60's tie-dyed T-shirts... :)

gil in Tucson

PS This also works well to color code PVC tubing used for static/pitot applications.

Consider very thin SS washers from McMaster. Same size the the head of the cap screw. Though a different color, should be nearly invisble when installed. I can't see them on my panel.