USCANAM

Well Known Member
I did a search on this subject and didn't find anything, but I do remember reading some posts on the subject of XM weather.
I guess now that I'm capable of receiving weather with the 696, I'd appreciate some tips on getting the most benefit from the service.

I realize there are 3 packages available, and all require a $75 initiation fee. The other services are approx $30, $50, and $100 per month depending on what you want to receive.
I'm thinking at this time, since I have the Strike Finder, I could probably get by with the $30 package which doesn't have lightning indication.
Most of my flying now is just local, with hopefully 4 or 5 long trips a year in the future.
I remember reading that you can possibly turn the service on and off as needed without having to pay the $75.
Would appreciate any tips that our RV experts could enlighten me and others with.
Thanks
Jack

In my opinion, the Aviator Package is the way to go. There is quite a bit missing from the Aviator LT package - a lot more than just lightning. You also don't get Airmets, winds aloft, Severe Weather Storm Tracks (very useful in thunderstorm season) , Satellite Mosaic and a few others. But I listed what I think are the most important. That said, its a personal thing and if you don't do enough crosscountry that you will get your moneys worth, that's a reasonable choice.

I did a search on this subject and didn't find anything, but I do remember reading some posts on the subject of XM weather.
I guess now that I'm capable of receiving weather with the 696, I'd appreciate some tips on getting the most benefit from the service.

I realize there are 3 packages available, and all require a $75 initiation fee. The other services are approx $30, $50, and $100 per month depending on what you want to receive.
I'm thinking at this time, since I have the Strike Finder, I could probably get by with the $30 package which doesn't have lightning indication.
Most of my flying now is just local, with hopefully 4 or 5 long trips a year in the future.
I remember reading that you can possibly turn the service on and off as needed without having to pay the $75.
Would appreciate any tips that our RV experts could enlighten me and others with.
Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack,

Another input for you - we have two subscriptions in our household - one is the full, and the other is the light. While I occasionally use the extra features in the full subscription, I rarely (never ) actually miss them when I am flying in the other plane. The full package is nice to have, not essential in my mind if you are looking to save a little.

Paul

Hi Jack,

Another input for you - we have two subscriptions in our household - one is the full, and the other is the light. While I occasionally use the extra features in the full subscription, I rarely (never ) actually miss them when I am flying in the other plane. The full package is nice to have, not essential in my mind if you are looking to save a little.

Great !.............I'm trying to convince myself that I can live without the "Satellite Mosaic" to save the extra 20 bucks. It's the only option of the "Aviator" package that I'd especially want.

And BTW ----- I've been using the 696 for one day now. Very nice!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Great !.............I'm trying to convince myself that I can live without the "Satellite Mosaic" to save the extra 20 bucks. It's the only option of the "Aviator" package that I'd especially want.

And BTW ----- I've been using the 696 for one day now. Very nice!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I find the satellite mosaic to be mildly interesting, but not a contributing part of my in flight decision planning. You have NEXRAD, and you have METARS to tell you the clouds - the satellite picture is often inaccurate, out of date, and misleading.....

Paul

I find the satellite mosaic to be mildly interesting, but not a contributing part of my in flight decision planning. You have NEXRAD, and you have METARS to tell you the clouds - the satellite picture is often inaccurate, out of date, and misleading.....

Thanks, good to know.

L.Adamson